ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Greg:
IF the work is in progress, a Stop Work' placard is posted at the site, and the 'workers are told to vacate. A Stop Work document, along with a Notice of Violation, and Board of Appeals form are prepared and either mailed (Cert & Reg), or sometimes hand delivered to the offender/owner. Usual $$ is $2000 which may be negotiated down for an acceptable reason.

Continuing to proceed with work under a Stop can result in $2k per day, and it may be enacted for each trade.

These are state forms and procedures.

A more serious situation for Licensed ECs, Plumbers, is notification of the State Boards. They levy fines of $10k, suspensions, for repeat offenders.
They also have a payment plan of regular installments.

The trunk slammers that are long gone, or hiding, IF they get snagged, face a local fine, and are handed over to the Board (State) for that trade.

John
Cat Servant
As any comedian will tell you, timing is of the essence.

The concept of 'public servant' is simply dishonest; 'government' is by definition legalized thuggery. It's not as if you have a choice, or can choose a competitor!

Oh, sometimes they put on a pretty PR face, but the simple fact remains that you need them - and they feel they don't need you. Hence the building departments that have limited hours, etc. They couldn't care less about your 'convenience.'

Look for them to get even more draconian, and surlier, as budgets tighten and they suddenly look at all the fees and penalties thay can impose. Look for them to take a page from LEED, and charge you for every step. Need to correct your plans to accomodate their requirements? Look to pay another fee. Need a reinspection? Pay again.

Likewise, look for them to extend their reach into areas formerly exempt. I'll bet Chicago will follow Florida's lead, and require engineered plans for a dog house- after all, it's the windy city, isn't it?

Never forget that the original reason for 'police' was to collect the King's taxes- not to keep granny from getting mugged. Remember that whenever there is a sudden concern voiced over 'public safety.'

G
Around here, most times working without a Permit is smoothed over by a friendly call to the Alderman...unless he has it out for the person doing the work.

It's depressing to see how many politicians see obtaining a Permit and complying with the Code as a nuisance. We're trying to avoid future problems with poory done work and they see it as something that makes their voters unhappy. Then they complain that the revenue from issuing Permits is much lower than projected.

Oh, well; What are you going to do?

Ghost307
Reno:

My intent within this single post is not to start a flame war, just to respond.

"The concept of 'public servant' is simply dishonest; 'government' is by definition legalized thuggery. It's not as if you have a choice, or can choose a competitor!"

The implications of that statement would be extreemly objectionable to employees within my office.

Yes, there basically is 'no choice', but there are channels that can be followed for any defense of non-compliance.

I will end this with one comment: I do not go out looking for violators, never did, never will. I have to do my job and respond to complaints. And, FWIW, dropping a dime on someone to the State is not somewhere that I would go, unless the situation called for that.

John
G
They drop a stop work here too. I am not sure what fines are imposed beyond doubling the permit fee tho. There can also be a complaint filed with the license people. From what I see you have to make the AHJ mad to get that. (repeat offender, egregious violations or just being a "hole")
The funny thing is the trunk slammers with no licenses at all get off easier than a licensed trade since they would have to file a criminal complaint, with everything that goes with that and not just an administrative action by the licensing board. Again you really have to be a bad actor for it to go that far. You have to get a DA mad at you.
The person who gets caught in the middle is the building owner because they end up being liable for anything done by an unlicensed worker along with any other liabilities that might arise (injuries, damage to other properties etc).

Greg Fretwell
S
The funny thing is the trunk slammers with no licenses at all get off easier than a licensed trade since they would have to file a criminal complaint, with everything that goes with that and not just an administrative action by the licensing board.

yup, been beat out by them quite a bit here, they even advertise themselves in the local rags w/o a license as 'cheaper' , and i've even had some use my company name

there's just no use in dropping a dime either, unless the DA's your uncle

but i figure i'll get even when i semi-retire to unlicensed handyman status doing small electrical jobs on the side after a hard day doling out bogus info at the big orange or blue place

look for the dude standing on the top of the ladder w/ a flask in his toolbelt
~S~

S
My intent within this single post is not to start a flame war

but Reno does make some good points HotOne. For instance, many states are facing austerity, so the first thing they cut are services that are less than apparent.

Myself, i've finished a job in April, and am still waiting for an electrical inspector's final to get paid

And i've been a 'public servant' now for 1/2 century, so i know all too well the public scrutiny one faces out there having to do XXXXXXXXXXXXXX with XXX, and maybe a promise of XX in next years fairy tale budget

imho, the defining line bettween public servant , and public nusiance is placing someone in said position year in and out

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 07/22/11 12:52 AM.
S
Where things get tough here is the structural code. They have a real wind code and the permit must be submitted with stamped engineering for just about anything (even a little shed). They do not have those exceptions you hear about up north for "portable buildings". (sheds or structures below a certain size, no floor or without a foundation etc). If you set it up on your property, it needs to meet the wind code with engineering to prove it and you need a permit. Virtually none of those "shed in a box" things you buy up north are legal here. The feeling is if it is not an engineered structure, it is a missile in a storm.

didn't know that

but i do watch the news

seems i've seen a number of engineered structures that just up and violate it all when mother nature comes to town....

~S~

G
I do believe in our wind code. If you really do what they say I believe your house will survive just about anything but a flood with minimal damage.

This is still one of my favorite pictures (150 mph wind code)

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/art.gilchrist.house.irpt.jpg

Greg Fretwell
S
lol Greg! proof that those who go the extra mile for compliance really DO stand out!

~S~

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard