ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#201500 06/05/11 01:25 PM
So what have you learned about business? What would you change/do differently now? Any regrets?

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Obsaleet #201502 06/05/11 02:42 PM
I have to say, no regrets for anything past. Business is a learning experience from day one...'till the end. You can never 'know-it-all', and IMHO IF you think you do, you're wrong.

Changes? A few decissions over the years, I would prefer to have a 'second chance', but...impossible! Considered as learning experiences.

John
Obsaleet #201509 06/05/11 09:53 PM
First, I should have done better paper work and keep better track. But then i am not a paperwork kind of a guy.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Obsaleet #201515 06/06/11 09:39 AM
H
I just wished that I had gotten into this field a little sooner than I did. The BA/FA installing helped me in my later years as an EC. Also wished I had gotten my AHJ lic. sooner. But over all, very happy with my decisions to date.

harold endean #201839 06/26/11 10:21 PM
S
how to put this?

well, let's just say that an electrician does not a biz man make

i had thought so once , that being the best one can be at what one does would be all one would need, and all else would simply fall into place

how utterly niave of me

thankfully, i'm over it...

~S~

Obsaleet #201901 06/30/11 03:25 PM
T
Hard for journeyman electricians to believe -- but skill of installation is virtually un-marketable.

The prospect base treats all licensed electricians as if they were but kernels of rice in the bag -- all the same.

So it's a long road to establish superior street cred and consequent referrals.

Instead, contractors live and die by closing sales/ contracts / up-selling.

Contractors also have to sweat liquidity -- now more than ever.

The other heartbreak is the need to walk away from ruinous bids. It's better to sit than work at a clear loss.

Tesla
Obsaleet #201903 06/30/11 10:58 PM
Well said Tesla, it still amazes me how many people think being an electrician/contractor is easy. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard "I should of used you, it ended up costing about the same yet the quality is not there". I have even been brought in to make changes after final inspection. I've made more money then the original contract, doing repairs and corrections. Still frustrating.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Obsaleet #201906 07/01/11 01:55 AM
G
My wife came into the "hospitality" (Running a gated community and country club) business from the construction business and she has proved many times over that using real contractors is cheaper than having a club "handyman" do it. Things are done right, on time, permitted/inspected and in the end cheaper.
There are a lot less problems down the road. It does help that she has guys who will work for golf games tho. smile

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #201921 07/03/11 02:31 AM
B
This is specific to my experience and may not apply to all but I feel these are policies we have seen direct positive results from.

Here are some basic rules we swear by at our company. We usually remove employees that can't comply.

1) Ensure your quality is noticeably better than all others. I reject my own workers workmanship and make them redo. Everything must always be straight. Sometimes this can cost extra.

2) Ensure that your workers are clean and are polite and respectful of customers always. One bad opinion travels fast.

3) Make your safety efforts highly visible so your customer notices and feels at ease and always leave your worksite, unless it's someone elses responsibility, as clean as it was when you started.

4) Diversify your business to many sectors of the economy. Do not have only one type of customer. When they slow so do you. This is a big trap when you have only a few large customers especially GCs.

5) Have 6 months worth of cash in the bank (gold if you are in the US) on top of what you need to run your business and take your book keeping seriously. Everybody can save if they are disciplined. I do it by paying myself as the company owner no more than journeyman rate. The corporate profits almost always goes to savings or capital expenditures that will strengthen the company.

Last edited by bigpapa; 07/03/11 02:32 AM.
Obsaleet #201922 07/03/11 02:34 AM
G
The #1 thing I would suggest is to return all calls promptly and be on time. Everything else comes after that.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard