ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#201472 06/03/11 01:40 PM
S
Recently had a inspector say the exception, "that if a single outlet is placed in a garage for a dedicated piece of equipment like freezer etc. it does not have to be on a GFI". Inspector says it's not there anymore. Any verification to this?? I had put a single outlet for a garage door opener, and he started to turn it down but was gracious enough to let me by this time. It seems awful unconvenient for the homeowner to have to get a ladder to reset a receptacle if you have a lightening strike near by and it trips, but I guess that's life.
Thanks for the reply..Steve

Last edited by Trumpy; 06/03/11 11:11 PM. Reason: Edited thread title
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Sherman set the "way back machine" to 2005! wink

That was the last code cycle that had a GFCI exception for receptacles that were not "readily accessible" in the garage.
Since 2008 they all require GFCI.
As a design issue, you could pick up the GDO on a GFCI that was on the wall.

Greg Fretwell
S
Thanks Greg. I guess I Was living in the past. I guess the last inspectors I had was living there too. This is the first I've had in question. Now I know.. Thanks again

IMO, as an outsider, I'd either install a GFCI in the panel and feed the recept that way or install a GFCI recept in an accessible position and "loop" the GDO recept off that, by rights the GDO outlet would have GFCI protection.
Or are there laws against doing that over there?

G
I would not be surprised if every receptacle in a dwelling will be AFCI plus GFCI in the 2014, maybe with deferred implementation until 2017.
Cuttler Hammer has that device and it is how they did the AFCI in the first place.

Greg Fretwell
I guess the 120/240V model of wiring in the US isn't looking too good these days.
Everyone else that uses the 230V single phase system has never had to install such AFCI gear.
It's just that 120V requires such large conductors and better connections at wiring points that is the down-fall.
Higher current for a given load.

G
Your codes are not written by manufacturers.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Your codes are not written by manufacturers.

Is that the way you think?
Have you read AS/NZS 3000: 2009?

H
Trumpy,

Greg is right there are a lot of manufactures sitting on our code making panel and the rules of the NEC are getting ridiculous. They are pushing for more and more special equipment so that they can sell more and they change the codes every 3 years and I know a lot of people think it should be a 5 year cycle. Soon they will require air bags in showers to prevent people from falling in there. smile

G
Take a breath Caper! wink

I guess if a down under company had invented the GFCI/AFCI, Mike and Raymond would be asking the questions and we would be wondering why they need that.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard