ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Over on the German board the question arose, whether US breakers for residential use are typically equipped with both a thermal and an electromagnetic tripping device or only either of them.

In all countries that use DIN rail equipment they seem to alyways have both, is that true for the US too?

Cat Servant
The statement is true for breakers found in the typical panel.

There are some breakers used in motor control centers that lack the magnetic function.

T
Thanks a lot! For motor controls, omitting the magnetic trip makes sense since the short-circuit protection can be achieved by a much larger fuse upstream.

F
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Over on the German board the question arose, whether US breakers for residential use are typically equipped with both a thermal and an electromagnetic tripping device or only either of them.

In all countries that use DIN rail equipment they seem to alyways have both, is that true for the US too?

It the same in France we have both thermal and magatic breakers as well but few of the breakers may not have magatic at all I know I have ran into hydrallic breaker { kinda oddball item }

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
The hydraulic surely wasn't the typical 10, 16 or 20A household type, was it?

I'm interested in what you'd typically find in an apartment or single family home, as that was what the original discussion was concerned with.

H
Reno,

Are we talking about FPE breakers? smile

G
This is a SqD QO GFCI I cut open to see what was inside.I was really interested in the GFCI part but you can see the breaker part too. It looks like it is thermal only.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Harold, I cannot even attempt to explain the engineering miracle represented by FPE and their breakers.

Imagine ... a breaker that works so well in Canada that it's sold by Schneider Electric (alongside their competing Square D line), yet somehow fails to perform 'south of the border.'

Perhaps us hapless Yanks are simply not sophisticated enough to use these advanced devices laugh

H
Reno,

I believe the FPE breakers actually worked well with a thermal overload. It was those quick short circuit faults that they didn't seem to see.

J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by renosteinke
There are some breakers used in motor control centers that lack the magnetic function.

Nope.

The "typical" breaker in a motor control center is Magnetic only. The thermal function is handled by the motor starter's overload relay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard