ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200818 04/20/11 09:08 PM
M
Merlin Offline OP
I got called to a house today to make some repairs that the buyer's inspector sited. Most issues were minor and resolved, except one. I have two rooms that were added on a few years after the house was built. These two rooms are the problem area. Nearly all of the outlets have no ground. I found that most of the grounds were either twisted together in box or cut off short. None were hooked up. Well, I was able to resolve all but three.

Now here is my issue. What is the code regarding this issue? Is there any way around getting extremely in depth with this? Can I install gfi's in these locations or what is recommended? Two of them have grounds hooked up now but still unable to aquire a ground continuity back to panel. The third, has the ground wires cut back so short that I cant get to them. Thanks for your input.

I HATE HACK JOBS!!!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

406.4 (D)(2)allows GFI devices to be installed where no EGC is available within the device box.

John
G
If you can get the ground wire under a screw in the back of the box it gets you started. Then a self grounding receptacle will work.
Did they, at least. get them all twisted together to continue the ground from box to box?

If you can get a 1/2" or so, you can also use one of those push on connectors we have been talking about. Then you can pigtail on as much wire as you need to tag the box and get to your devices.

Greg Fretwell
I would recommend a rewire of that room. Remember if you are the last to touch that installation then you are liable.

I am always careful with these hack jobs.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Nico:
I have to agree with you on a rewire being the ultimate solution. However, I believe Merlin is seeking ideas for compliant solutions other than a rewire.

Hopefully Merlin will follow-up on the suggestions made herein.

John
M
Merlin Offline OP
Thanks for all of the great input. I am going back to attempt to get the remaining three fixed. If not, I will have to install the gfi's. A rewire is not really an option, due to this is the sellers responsibilty. They are not willing to go that route if any other option is available. ALthough I would love to because this is a D.I.Y. special. Whoever wired it, had no clue what they were doing.

The sad part about this issue is that it was an issue when the current owner bought the house. They were told that another electrician fixed the problem. Sadly, I know he never attempted based on what I am finding. I know the guy and would of never thought he would do that. I guess that is why I now serve some of his previous customers.

Thanks again!

H
Around here there was a period of time, around the 60's where they EC's would take the grounding wire and run it outside the box, wrap them all together and install them under a bolt and nut through the bottom hole in the metal box. That might be all well and good, but when you went to loosed the nut on the inside of the box, you could not re-tighten it. You were left with a loose grounding connection and no way to fix it without removing the box.

Link Copied to Clipboard