ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RODALCO Offline OP
Hello folks

I am going to the USA to chase tornadoes with Silverlining Tours.
This has been in the planning for many years and finally I got the approval from the misses.
On the way I pick up two kWh meter which I bought off ebay to save on postage.
I fly to LA, take the train to Oklahoma City. chase for 10 days, transfer to Denver for another 6 or 7 days.
looking forward to it.

There has been a lot of tornado activity already with unfortunately many deaths reported.

Has anyone on ECN ever encountered a tornado while at work or during travel in the midlands ?

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Ray,
I'd be rather careful with this, going into "the eye of the storm" as it were is not only stupid, but dangerous.
I spent some time in Southern US back in 1989 and to be told by people back then then to stay the hell away from weather events like this sealed my ideals.

However, these days, over there, there are what you call "storm-chasers", these people need to be taken with a pinch of salt, as in, they will chase a storm or tornado down, even when police have warned them to get the hell out of the area.
Don't ever be told that it is OK to be in the way of a twister, no matter how small.
It might look pretty small and un-intimidating in the distance, these things travel fast and you'd better not be anywhere near them when they come through.
I take it that a rather large tornado has devastated a few states just recently.
IMO, this is not a tour I would like to do.

F
Ray.,

I have encounter few torandoes when I am living in Wisconsin and they can get ya pretty hard and I know my house in Wisonsin have miss quite few torandoes allready so I did not get a direct hit from it.

But for other area it is not really a pretty sight at all after a med size or major torando went thru the area.

{ yeah we get torando in France from time to time but not often like USA/Canada is }

And the other thing that the torando can shift without warning so it may get ya if not heed with warning.

but as long you stay plenty distance you can able see torando you can able see them few Kilometers away and most torando in USA tend to travel nordest { north east } driection but can go almost any way.

As I am typing now I know the hot spot will be southern plains but some case it will be very quite for few weeks then boom it will have alot of torandoes going on at the same time.

Of course Mike is correct the torando can move over 100 KMH.

I am sure our state side guys will fill you in more with details as well.

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Cat Servant
Hope you have a good trip - and see a good twister!

Odds are against you- it's not like the things make appointments or follow schedules. Even when they do show up, it's nearly always pouring rain, and at least half the time it's at night.

On the plus side, the area you're visiting is about as opposite as a place can be from NZ. Flat, endlessly huge, and where the native birds actually fly and the mammals don't have pouches. BTW, you only THINK you know what a thunderstorm is like.

Ray:
As I
m on the east coast, we don't see many tornados up close & personal. We have t'storms, nor'easters, tropical storm remnants, and the occasional hurricane.

I want to add "Welcome to the US" and I hope you enjoy your trip here and stay safe.

John
G
They had a little water spout come ashore and hit my Condo on the west coast of Florida. It was pretty exciting for a lady on the top floor when the roof came off. She was almost sucked out and her husband had to grab her legs and pull her down from about 3 feet in the air. Her hair was instantly turned into a "Buckwheat", braided in a hundred tight little strands. I found a lawn lounger wrapped around a pole almost two full turns. A pontoon boat was picked up, broken in several pieces and scattered across about 200 yards of shoreline. One pontoon was in a neighbor's living room.

Like Ron White says. It isn't how hard the wind is blowing, it is WHAT the wind is blowing.
I will watch my tornadoes on TV thank you.

Greg Fretwell
Best of luck in your adventure Rod, always try live your dream- this ain't a rehearsal! My missus is now well over 60 and has started hurtling about the countryside on horseback!
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you try and get your meters past customs!

Wood work but can't!
R
RODALCO Offline OP
Thanks for the well wishes and caution calls.

I'm well aware of the dangers of these twisters and there are obviously some risks involved in chasing them
The guys I'm traveling with have chased for 15 years and are still around.

Ideally you want to parallel up with the North East movement of the tornado.
The biggest risk is being hit by lightning when not in the vehicle, so I have to be careful there.

Also by being on the road I get to see a lot of country side as a bonus, which I am looking forward too.

Meters and customs, I have printed the ebay and paypal receipts just in case, but also as evidence of having purchased the meters.
And I always declare those items as they will show up on the x-ray machine with the magnets inside.

Defineltly look forward to the trip

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
G
I didn't know Denver was a hot bed of tornado activity. Oklahoma might work for you. I am guessing they are taking you to Denver just to prove the whole US isn't flat and featureless wink

Greg Fretwell
G
I am not sure about customs in NZ but used W/A meters seem to be so cheap that we could get in here with several under the cap for souvenirs. When we came back from Nassau I had a shell horn, a bottle of rum and an oar I paid more for than I would pay for 2 used W/A meters.

I smuggled in the Cuban cigars but it is too late to turn me in. We burned the evidence.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard