ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20059 01/08/03 10:29 AM
S
What is standard procedure for some of you for providing temporary service poles for building contractors on houses you wire?? I just got a new contractor, and I get the filling he's wanting me to do a lot of freebie's for him to compensate for letting me do his work. I do want his work and he knows it, and I know you have to give a little to compensate for the work you may get from him in the future, but I don't want to go overboard. Getting his work already will mean I will have to get Workman's Comp. Insurance, ( which in my state, I don't normally have to have unless I have over 2 helpers) but his insurance company requires the subcontractors to have it. The cheapest workman's comp. so far I can get is either $850.00 for nothing but a number, no coverage whatsoever, or around $1400.00 which don't even cover me, but covers one helper at a salary of $20,000 a year. I will probably be forced to hire some help, to keep up with this contractors work. Up til now, I have done rewires, service changes, etc., etc. and subcontracted for another electrical company in wiring houses, but this is the first one I have had to supply the service pole.. I gave him a basic price for wiring the houses, but didn't provide the amounts I would charge for other things like fixing the former electrical contractors mistakes, service calls, etc. As I have stated in earlier post, the prices around my area are not as good as they are in some of you all's areas. There's so much competition here, you have to cut your prices down if you're going to get any work, especially in new homes.. Any suggestions, especially about the service poles will be appreciated.. Thanks, Steve [Linked Image]

W
Steve;
On the temp pole, maybe you can arrange it so he buys and owns the temp. Consider it a separate entity. Tell him you'll build it and charge him separately for it, then he (after temp power is disconnected) is reponsible for relocating it and storing it for further jobs. Next job they set it, poco feeds it, everythings done.What do you think?
~Ange

Wirenutt's idea sounds good..or you could offer to "split" the costs of the wemp pole, IF you want to try to keep this GC.

You could say "the temp pole, disc,meter,panel, GFI's, etc., cost $900.00 and how about if you pay $500 towards the cost"??

If the competition is tough in your area, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, BUT you can't give away the store either.

If you hire employees for this GC, and he "goes away" what do you do with the men??
Also, YOU have to pay for insurance, TAXES, etc. The insurance co probably wants $$$ up front.

BTW, for what it's worth my EC insurance package renewal came in today..$ 26875.00
Workers Comp, (4 men), business liability insurance, auto (3 vans, 1-bucket, 1 Tahoe)

Are you competing with guys that have "expenses of a business" or are they "hit & run" type operations??

Your other question, we have three "temp" service set-ups at our shop that we "rent" to various jobsites as needed. 100 amp, 1 phase, w/2 grd rods, installed at $275.00.

John

John
E
A temp pole premade at my supply house cost $135 for underground or $148 for overhead. They last for many years(10+ easy). I just consider it part of my overhead. If a builder is going to let us wire their houses, I'll gladly set a temp pole for free. After all, I get to take it with me when we're done.

G
I don,t have that problem yet here because the poco supplies all temp power. If I did have to supply temps, and it was a builder who gave me a lot of work, I'd furnish it and smile! laugh

H
We build the temp and keep it as our own but we charge a $150 temp set fee.

As far as BWC - I don't know about everywhere but in Ohio you aren't required to carry it as the owner if you have zero employees - however you can get supplemental coverage for the owner(s) and there is a minimum you have to report (I think its like 100/wk) - our premium is usually anywhere between 25 and 100 bucks.

H
I agree with the rest, I didn't mind giving "some" freebies to my GC, but too much can get out of hand real quick. I would ask the GC to buy the material, ( at my cost) and I would supply the labor, free of charge. However, that was it. And no more than 1 job a year.

C
In my area the same company's that provide the job site toilets also rent and install temporary job site power poles so most general contractors pay them to take care of it. Occasionally we do get asked to provide the temp power but we are never expected to provide it free of charge.

Electric Eagle - What is included for the $148? It cost me about $600+ in materials to build what is considered a standard temp power pole in my area not including the pole or plywood. A standard temp service pole in my area includes a 100 amp meter socket with 12-24 circuit load center, 1-50 amp 120/240 volt twistlock receptacle, 1-30 amp 240 volt twistlock receptacle and 2-20 amp 120 volt twistlock receptacles connected to GFCI breakers.

Curt

Curt Swartz
Electric Eagle:
What kind of temp pole you get for $148.00??

We have to build the same set-up as Caselec, and your pricing is a real bargain.

Also, the job trailer(s) need to be wired, and while you're here how about a few lights on a photo cell?? We all have heard that, right??

John

John
H
I take that back - I just reported payroll to BWC today...premium = 340 bucks and it keeps going and going and...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard