ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200316 03/28/11 03:13 PM
I really have not gave a lot of consideration where we can find asbestos in an older home.

www.vancouversun.com/health/WorkSafeBC+wants+jail+asbestos+contractor/4512430/story.html

Last edited by dougwells; 03/28/11 03:16 PM.
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
dougwells #200317 03/28/11 03:27 PM
Cat Servant
I suppose it's good to remind folks of just how universal the use of asbestos was, up until the late '70's. Indeed, it was often an 'option' for the 'better materials.

And why not? It didn't rot or dry out. It didn't burn or rust away. The fiberous nature let it be formed, and lent durability to everything that had it. Nor did it conduct electricity.

For us, the major source is most likely in the drywall joint compound. Asbestos fibers were often included, as a way to minimize cracking and shrinking.

dougwells #200319 03/28/11 04:13 PM
Cat Servant
While we're at it ....

Asbestos fibers have to be JUST the right size, then be inhaled, to cause problems. Various procedures have been developed to reduce our risk when working with asbestos.

Perhaps more invidious are the risks posed by paints. OK, so everyone has heard about "lead paint" ... but how many know what that actually means?

Lead is but one of the heavy metals whose compounds have been used to color paint. In the case of lead, it was/is used to produce white, yellow, and greenish hues. I say "is," because it is STILL IN USE in automotive, industrial, and specialty applications.

What about other 'heavy metals?' Another commonly used - this one for reds and oranges - is cadmium. Cadmium can be just as nasty. So are mercury compounds, used for the same colors. "Hexavalent Chrome," made famous by Erin Brockovitch, is another colorant used.

The means of ingestion differs from asbestos, as does the sort of damage caused. That's not really relevant here. What matters is that we daily cut, sand, rub, tear, and sweep up these other materials as well.

There's some sense to making a greater effort overall to contain our messes.

dougwells #200411 03/31/11 10:21 AM
T
I was installing a switch for my aunt just last summer, flipped it on, and saw a nice big (paint can) full of "Black Asbestos Furnace Caulk." Obvious what it was used for, just funny that it's still around and still full. Any takers?

Also, being in the theatre industry (live theatre), most of the older lighting used asbestos cable. It was the only material capable of withstanding the heat until synthetics were developed. We got used to wrapping the whips in e-tape when we worked with them, to keep the fibers contained.

Last edited by trobb; 03/31/11 10:21 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard