ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
mikesh Offline OP
In Canada a garage for the storage of more than 3 cars is classified as a hazardous location at or below grade. The idea is that gasoline vapours will sink to the lowest areas or depressions in the floor at grade.
The hazardous area extends from below grade to 2 inches above. Ventilation in underground parking areas can also reduce the hazardous location to 2 inches abouve the floor. Of course most garages not open to the air require mechanical ventilation just for Carbon Monoxide.
An elevator pit would be classified if the elevator threashold was at the same level as the garage floor. We have a 2 inch curb requirement that can separate the elevator pit from the garage.
I understand this classification is not applied to garages where cars are parked or stored but NOT repaired.
Is that true? or are parking structures treated special?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
twh Offline
The difference is mainly in below-ground structures used for parking compared to repair. Parking is Class 1, Zone 2, two inches above the floor and repair is Class 1, Zone 2, two inches above grade. Two inches above the floor is a minor problem, but two inches above grade probably makes ventilation an attractive alternative.

J
I dont live in that industry, but the way I read 20-100 is the 50mm applies to service and repair operations as well as storage of 3 or more vehicles.

M
mikesh Offline OP
To the moderator that moved this thread. Please put it back where i had it. It is not a Canadian code question. I want the NEC answer. I know the Canadian answer.

Thanks

T
twh Offline
Oh!

Last edited by twh; 03/09/11 01:58 PM.
OK, Mikesh....sorry about that! It's going back now.

John
Mikesh:

From 2008 NEC, Article 511.3 (A)

"(A) Parking Garages. Parking garages used for parking or storage shall be permitted to be unclassified.
FPN: For further information, see NFPA 88A-2007, Standard for Parking Structures, and NFPA 30A-2008, Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages."

Hopefully that's the answer you are looking for.

John
M
mikesh Offline OP
Great starting point

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard