ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
CPSC Offers Safety Tips to Prevent Ladder Injuries

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Each year there are more than 164,000 emergency room-treated injuries in the U.S. relating to ladders. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) offers the following safety precautions to help prevent these injuries.

Make sure the weight your ladder is supporting does not exceed its maximum load rating (user plus materials). There should only be one person on the ladder at one time.

Use a ladder that is the proper length for the job. Proper length is a minimum of 3 feet extending over the roofline or working surface. The three top rungs of a straight, single or extension ladder should not be stood on.

Straight, single or extension ladders should be set up at about a 75-degree angle.

All metal ladders should have slip-resistant feet.

Metal ladders will conduct electricity. Use a wooden or fiberglass ladder in the vicinity of power lines or electrical equipment. Do not let a ladder made from any material contact live electric wires.

Be sure all locks on extension ladders are properly engaged.

The ground under the ladder should be level and firm. Large flat wooden boards braced under the ladder can level a ladder on uneven ground or soft ground. A good practice is to have a helper hold the bottom of the ladder.

Do not place a ladder in front of a door that is not locked, blocked or guarded.

Keep your body centered between the rails of the ladder at all times. Do not lean too far to the side while working.

Do not use a ladder for any purpose other than that for which it was intended.

Do not step on the top step, bucket shelf or attempt to climb or stand on the rear section of a stepladder.

Never leave a raised ladder unattended.

Follow use instruction labels on ladders.
(From CPSC

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
one more.......

Don't leave tools etc on top of ladders......

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks to Bryan Haywood for Photos www.Safteng.net

And just last week I had to put my 18 foot extension ladder on the tailgate of my truck to reach a dusk-to-dawn photo cell.

It was either that or buy another ladder for $300 that I will rarely use...

Hey, do as I say, not as I do!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
N
Good Post.. very informative and I would say everyone should go under a safety training as listed above before using a ladder.

Originally Posted by Webmaster
CPSC Offers Safety Tips to Prevent Ladder Injuries

Use a wooden or fiberglass ladder in the vicinity of power lines or electrical equipment.

(From CPSC

Using wooden ladder near live HV is not a good idea! mad

G
When I worked at Ford the only ladders allowed were ones that were made of wood.

Another great rule there was that the ladders were coated with clear varnish to make them last longer and easier to clean. Any ladder that was painted was thrown out; paint could hide a crack or rot.

Ghost307
It depends on voltage level and it depends on ladders.

New ladder and LV line is fine.Old ladder contaminated with water and dust and 35 kV+ line is playing dice with a devil.I saw the consequences.

Cat Servant
Lest I contradict the infinite wisdom of the folks at the CPSC. OSHA, and everywhere else:

Could someone please explain to me how an aluminum ladder is inherently any more dangerous near electricity than an aluminum scaffold or steel lift?

S
do rubber wheels count?

~S~

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard