ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#198868 02/06/11 03:32 PM
I am doing a small kitchen renovation was called in at the last minute. when the house was originally build there was a cook top and a wall oven.

Apparently the wall oven quit working and a past owner took out the original cook top and put in a free standing range. now the customer has bought a new wall oven and a cook top. I have not seen the name plate rating on the wall oven yet, but the cook top is rated at 7.9 kw . the existing feeder is # 10 and I have not found the splice JB yet for where they tapped off for the wall oven and cook top.

the circuit feed this system is 40 amps on # 8 romex from the panel. My question is will this suffice for the new cooking equipment.

I understand the question mikish posted for the free standing range, but i will have to look for this system set up in the code, The customer assumed that we could use the existing set up And I know i will have to find the nameplate rating g on the wall oven. Has anyone else ran into this.

T
My home has exactly that set up.

Our junction box is behind the wall oven. You should expect the same.

When our oven went out I performed a board-level soldering repair.

I know it's hard to believe, but full voltage, full amperage juice is sent across common solder junctions for control purposes. This is where the failures occur.

I believe that such circuits are an industry norm.

My stove top uses a #8 tap from the home-run junction box -- for what it's worth.

Tesla
I haven't seen the name plate rating of the wall oven yet but the original wiring to the cook top was # 10 , the new cook top is rated at 7.9 kw that would put it at about 32 amps.

Our code says that both appliances can be treated as one appliance if that helps.

Oven says 3.4 KW I thought an oven would take more smile

T
twh Offline
The taps need to be sized for the load.

What does the code say about the size of wire and overcurrent for a range of this size?

M
8-300(2)
says the two units are allowed to be considered as 1 range. So if a total of 12000 wats is not exceeded then the rating is 8000 watts per 8-300(1)

Thanks mikish I read that rule the other day. smile

M
Our junction box is behind the wall oven. You should expect the same.

Would this not make the JB in-accesible if it is located behind the wall oven?

Last edited by Trumpy; 02/10/11 01:57 AM.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
M
The JB located behind the oven is accessable but only by removing the oven. I would reject that location in favour of the area at the back of a cabinet or between the drawer and cabinet below the oven. The requirment for accessible does not say easily or readily so it is not a violation of the literal text. You might win that agrgument with an inspector but regardless it is a bad location. It also would have required extra cable to allow for the connection to the oven before sliding it into the space for the oven. Too much bending for an old guy

Link Copied to Clipboard