ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I disagree. There is no timesheet, timeclock, camera or APP that cannot be fiddled by the slackers or incompetents, for they might be useless at everything else but at time-stealing, they are always aces! Nor will this type of management ever stop timesheets being little more than fiction from 50% of employees, because a pack of lies filled out at 4 o' clock on a Friday afternoon is useless for real costing purposes.

Reno has it. A company gets too big & loses control. A good team stays on top of the game with good leadership. Good Leaders do not sit in the office all day shuffling bits of paper. They walk the jobs, [MBWA], assess how the team is performing and manage the team's time themselves. Or better, they work in the team itself. One man job? Set the time allowed. Persistant over-runs? Time for a little chat! Electricians [or indeed any tradesman] should be bending wire or whatever, not biros, 'losing' an hour here and 15 minutes there. Been there, done it.

Here's a nigh-on-perfect team in action, led from the front by a softly-spoken man with a big stick [sound familiar?] smile - and not a timesheet in sight! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VKWkBcxe4

Wood work but can't!
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
I worked for about as big a company as you can get but it was made very clear to us that accurate time cards were a condition to employment. If they established a pattern of cheating on your time card, you could be fired on the spot.

Greg Fretwell
T
I now have 9 employees and the time sheets are a nightmare, we are doing jobs far from the city, so the guys want to work overtime, and i can understand and have allowed for it, but 12 hrs everyday, i dont buy it.
I had my secretary put memos in the checks that we are not working more than 10 hrs on the projects per day, timesheets came in this week with 11 hr days on them, these guys are stealing overtime is very expensive.

T
Trevman...

It is an established fact that only brief moments of overtime are effective.

Chronic long days cause the troops to slow down.

Within two weeks it will take ten hours to do what eight used to do.

In California 12 hour days are 'almost illegal.' That is, you can't compel your troops to work beyond ten hours. California also went after employers using 4 day, 40 hour weeks without paying overtime.

---------

If you can recover their labor waste overtime may be tolerated.

I can't see routine tempos of anything beyond ten-hours.

Tesla
trevman12:

You may want to check out this equipment....

http://www.exaktime.com/

I personally have not used it, but a few ECs swear by it.

John
P
Tell him to try thanking his guys once and awhile... and mean it. Instead of losing it.
They'll come around.
He just has to ask them to, in a different way.

Sure, no time/no cheque (cause you'd have nothing to go by...why is that by the way?, boss?), but regardless, work has been done. So somehow, payment is due. Can't get around that reality.

Technology may help this 'timesheet problem' along, but it doesn't address the issue, in my opinion... never will.

C
My old boss's comment on timecards (during the boom):
"We can't chase everything all the time."

Another problem with the time cards was that the time on different job numbers had to be properly allocated.

I'm sure those iphones have gps stamping on the pictures.
You could have them snap a photo as they show up at each different site and the job number for that site would be entered (or a drop down list appear or something). Maybe the developer would facilitate that.

H
When I was in business one of my full time foremen had my nephew working for him. Now his father (which is my brother) would handle payroll. My foreman would drop off my nephew at his house, then come back to the shop. The problem came about when my nephew was being dropped off around 3:45 in the afternoon. My men would be paid to work until 4:30. My brother would ask his son, what time did you get home? After finding out that he was home so early, my brother docked the foreman for 1 hour everyday. The foreman didn't like it and he quit.

Moral of the story, is don't try to fake your hours when you have the bosses nephew working with you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard