ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KJay Offline OP
Any recommendations for a whole house type digital FM transmitter? I'm looking for something to send internet radio, like Pandora, to my home stereo, which has much better speakers than my computers audio system does. I found this, which looks like it will work, but it seems to have mixed reviews.
FM Transmitter

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
1) How about a long headphone cable from the PC to line inputs on the stereo?

2) Dedicated "dumb" PC connected to the network and the stereo?

K
KJay Offline OP
Thanks, but I think what I’m really looking for is called a wireless music bridge. I do have a WiFi network, but not sure what would be needed to utilize it. The Linksys G Bridge looks like it could be what I need, but I see that it has been discontinued and I don’t know what else is currently available.

G
Would look at a 900mz solution. The FM (broadcast band) stuff is power limited to the point of being useless most places. It will usually compress the sound too.
My PC feeds a 900mz transmitter and I have an assortment of wireless speakers and headsets I use around the house for my MP3s but I still like wire to feed any high fidelity speaker system using a pure source. Cat5 seems to handle the line level signals quite well.

Greg Fretwell
Have you looked at something like this? Connects to Pandora over WiFi, and has a control interface. I know there are many others that have different features (and prices) but I think this is probably what you're looking for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...amp;cm_re=pandora-_-82-902-019-_-Product

You will be losing audio quality if you have to send it over FM; you want something that's digital all the way to your stereo input.

Last edited by noderaser; 02/04/11 05:44 AM.
K
KJay Offline OP
Thanks for the responses. I was able to find some very nice high end digital systems from Sonos, but they were way out of my price range at this point in time, so I ended up going with the Sony Altus ALT-A33PC wireless audio delivery system. It was a closeout because Sony recently discontinued them, but it has good reviews and the price was much more reasonable, so if for some reason it doesn’t work as planned I won’t really be out that much at all.
Sony Altus

K
KJay Offline OP
Just in case anyone else is looking for a similar setup, this Sony Altus ALT-A33PC is a great little unit and is an absolute steal for under $60.00. I’m getting full house coverage, everywhere from the basement with fluorescent lighting to the second floor bedroom at the far end of the house. The signal is crystal clear even with an active Wi-Fi N-router right next to the USB stick transmitter.
It was plug and play right out of the box for Win7 and surprisingly, even for my crappy old Win2K notebook. I didn’t need to install any drivers or the S-AirCast software. What’s also nice is that you don’t need to use a media player of any sort as it will transmit Pandora right from an open window on the desktop. I’m using the simulated stereo function on my receiver to compensate for the analog signal and the sound quality seems very good this way. It comes with a standard RCA to RCA patch cord for a home stereo, but I also picked up an RCA to 1/8" pin patch cord so I could plug this in the AUX terminals of our Bose Wave and Dewalt radio. I’m thinking that Sony might have screwed the pooch by discontinuing this system.

G
I might think about something like this if I did not already have copper going everywhere.

Greg Fretwell
G
I have an LG Blu Ray player with wireless WiFi and it has Pandora, You tube and lots of other stuff built into it. Since the TV, Bluray, Gaming console and all that is already connected to my home stereo it works great. Now I just have to put some speakers in other rooms. It was $148 at Best Buy

I have digital A/V receiver that has Sirius/XM on it. However I choose not to pay for music via satellite or internet. I also have a SONOS. http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

A bridge connects to your wireless router and the Zone player connects to your A/V receiver. You can than play internet radio on your stereo whether FREE, like Pandora or pay services like XM, if you don't already have it on your A/V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard