ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I heard that after the owner saw the Video of the free climbing those employees no longer work for that company

J
Our tower in Cleveland, that I'm close to in the picture, had beacons and side marker lights. The one in Pittsburgh had strobes. The towers are grounded with transmission line or waveguide going up to the base of the actual antennas. Our licensed power was 110KW visual, 11KW aural, with an ERP (Effective Radiated Power) of 2MW. The beam's cardioid pattern had a 6 degree downward tilt and was directed roughly NE to favor the city. I would NOT be up against that antenna while we were broadcasting. I could see coordinating with the climbers to go off the air when they were staged up near the top of the waveguide. I think our bulb replacements were done after signoff.
We had lots of folks renting our tower by the foot. MMDS wireless cable, a 10KW FM, cellular. Studio Transmitter Links and remote microwave link receivers are often mounted part way up towers too. Tower maintenance would involve determining what services might be impacted AND any dangers to the climber(s).
Joe

S
The spikey things would have no measurable effect on lightning save perhaps to act as an attachment point like a regular rod (air terminal) as they stick out from the side of the tower. I have no idea on static from broadcast, that is out of my experience but sounds hokey.

M

Apparently NATE (National Assoc. of Tower Erectors) is not happy with this video. They released a news release in December 2010 saying saying the tower climbing practices shown are unsafe and not condoned by members of their association.

J
jdevlin Offline OP
I thought the spikey things were to keep birds away. Eagles and such like to nest on high places like towers.

G
When I looked last night I got a "removed because of copyright violation" but then the video showed anyway. It may have just been from the file cached on my computer tho.

Greg Fretwell
G
I'm sure that it's still out there somewhere.
Once something's been put on the web there's no way to get rid of it totally.

Ghost307
N
Originally Posted by ghost307

Once something's been put on the web there's no way to get rid of it totally.

Indeed. smile

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81100181/

D
doc Offline
I remember years ago a new tower had gone up near us . I think it is 1000 feet or more . Two men were climbing it to change or put in a bulb .They were nearly to the top when it started sleeting and the steps up the side started freezing over
I a bit a helicopter showed up out comes a guy and lowers down to them . He started swinging back and forth and plugged one of them off raised up and put him in the chopper and then went back out and down to the other one and plugged him off ,back in the chopper they went
No news coverage or anything it was like they were in the get ready mode get there get them and get out
Just to clarify by the time the chopper got there the sleet had stopped and the sky had cleared enough to see.
Was something I think about everytime I go by that tower

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard