ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#198193 01/14/11 06:07 PM
W
My controller lost it two weeks ago.

23 employees only four time sheets handed in the day before pay day. The rest needed to be hunted down again.

The four coffee and mustard pieces of paper he received resembled lottery tickets padding the odds of the employees pay cheque.

Solution

14 employees have iphones six have iPod touches with cameras the rest got loaners from us. ( small price to pay)

The cheating, inaccuracy and procrastination had to stop. So we searched the app store for a solution. Not easy.

We decided on an app called Time Sheet (Photo Verified) on iTunes

We love two things most about this app.

The first one is the employee has to take a picture to verify the start and end of each day.

When you hit END DAY we can see what the employee completed. Hit submit and everything is summarized and submitted to me the controller and the employee.

We asked the developer to add some stuff and to our surprise they agreed to do it quickly. So here is my plug for their good product and service.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Hi Wirelube, welcome to ECN, mate.

I always remember as an employee, being told rather sternly that if staff did not have their time sheets in by the deadline on Tuesday morning, there would be no pay in your bank account on Wednesday.
That pretty much put that fire out, right there and then! grin

Wirelube:

Welcome to ECN Forums!!

I have to agree with Trumpy! My electricians learned really quick that no time sheet, no paycheck.

There is also a system called 'JobClock' (which I have no financial interest in) that a few ECs I know use & love. They usually have an ad in Electrical Contractor magazine.

John
Cat Servant
The firm the OP describes sounds like it has some SERIOUS management problems.

Crews scattered all over? Have the leads call in the hours.

Otherwise .. no paper, no paycheck.

W
One thing with the next generation is quite obvious to me ( I am 55 now ) is the fact that filling out a padded time sheet is common practise. Now they want my controller to prove otherwise, it always turns into a pissing match so this photo verification is a blessing so far.

G
I think cell phone cameras and cheap disk space are a great tool. My wife has a number of "must do" inspections around her country club and she just has everyone take a picture at the time of the inspection and Email it to the server. They have a time stamped picture of the thing he inspected.

What do they take and send a picture of for a time card "punch"?

Greg Fretwell
This is a no-brainer. No time cards, no paycheck.

G
The "no timesheet equals no check" policy works wonders.
You still have to pay them, but they get their check next week, not when they were expecting it.
One of the beauties of this policy is at you only have to do it once, everyone will hear about it and get their act together. That will be the last week that the paperwork is late.
That little trick brought several years of late paperwork to a screaching halt in one short week.

Ghost307
G
I got the impression that Wirelube was talking more about padded time cards than late time cards.

Greg Fretwell
S
I'm a firm believer in no time card, no paycheck. It's the individual responsibility that their timecards are is turned in to whom ever, filled out correctly, and on time. Or in the words of jack Nicholson, "no tickie, no laundry!"

I do believe embracing technology and modernizing. Like the job clock or apps for smart phones. Employers need to be careful on what they expect from their employees to supply. I remember as a young patawan electrician (that's a apprentice talk in Jedi lingo) I would not be able to afford a smart phone. It's good to see the contractor supplied phones. Smartphones not being cheap is a big investment to supply to their sparkies but if they pay for themselves, why not?

I use my personal iPhone for work mostly. It really don't cost me anything for me and since it is mine, they can't say what I can and can't do with it. Plus I don't have to carry two phones and it makes me more productive and efficent which employers like. I'm not a company man by any means but it I do my part by assisting my employer keeping costs down, the more competitive they can be and more likely I'll have a job Monday morning.

Now that I segwayed from the OP, now we return to our regular scheduled post...

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard