ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#197559 12/07/10 01:23 PM
Cat Servant
I'd like to describe an installation I saw yesterday, and get your thoughts. I apologize for not having pics, but I'll try to be clear.

The location was a small store, with paved parking completely around the little building. Out at streetside was a pole-mounted sign.

Power to the sign was provided by a circuit run in RMC. The RMC was simply laid atop the asphalt - no straps or anchors. Then the RMC was paved over, sort of.

The new pavement extended about four feet on either side of the pipe, and tapered from the existing parking lot to the top of the pipe. The finished result was an asphalt ramp on either side of the pipe, and the top of the pipe exposed to the sky.

To be fair to the paving crew, you did not notice these ramps when either driving or walking over the pipe. The location is such that a LOT of traffic goes directly over the pipe - yet there is no sign of damage to the pipe.

Would you consider this a proper install? Is the pipe 'supported' as required? What are your thoughts?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Reno:

A clear violation of 300.5 & a red tag.

As to support, I guess the blacktop kind of keeps the pipe in place, but again it's not compliant. I've seem RGC kind of tuched away against a concrete curb, strapped to the curbing, and surronded by debris, but it was a repair that was not permitted or inspected.

I also came upon 3" RGC that was set into a 'speed bump' and the irrigation guy used it for a raceway to cross a private road. LOL!

BTW, I think you could drive a semi accross what you describe, with no damage to the RGC, as long as the blacktop holds up

That's my two cents.

John
F
I will never allow that kind of installment like that and it will be automatique red tag no question asked.

I know I did recall couple spot in Wisconsin some guys got nailed pretty hard and have to tear the blacktop out.

The reason the inspector stated that the blacktop is pretty protisus { bunch of tiny holes } when you get water in there and frezze up it can do funny things below of it.

And the other key reason why that inspector red tagged due the conduit is only 4 inch below top of blacktop and it do get pretty hot in summer time.

I think someone try to find a excuse to not to dig down half meter deep.

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Cat Servant
It appears that this installation is so ... unique .... that I'll have to get some pics tomorrow. I don't think you can cite 300.5, as the pipe is most definitely not buried.

Stay tuned ...

F
I will be waiting for that photo.,,,

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
If the pipe is under the surface, it is buried.
The only thing that gets you a break is "concrete"
Any other material is just "cover" whether it is dirt, gravel, sand or asphalt.
It would be tougher to prove he couldn't just run it on the surface.

Greg Fretwell
T
That's a failed install...

Traffic'd raceways need to be 24" cover even if they are low voltage runs.

I've seen a California job by illegal immigrant 'electricians' ( couldn't even speak halting English ) wherein they notched the concrete and asphalt - then laid in Schedule 40 PVC and pulled their circuits. A slight film of concrete buried their handicraft.

However, since the location was a Heavy-Duty Long Haul Truck Stop -- somehow I expect those circuits to fail.

As you might imagine the ENTIRE overhaul was un-permitted work. The owners were illegal immigrants, too -- this time from Turkey.

Tesla
Tesla #197592 12/08/10 11:26 AM
H
John,

Take this scene, with a twist. Someone wants to run an underground service from pole to house. There is a lot of ledge rock and you can't dig deeper than 1 foot. Can you lay the pipe on the ledge rock, cover it with concrete, then put either dirt or pavement over it and still be code compliant?

Harold:
IMHO, it will work, however....pole to house (Lateral) may be under jurisdiction of the POCO. As AHJ in that area, it's your call.

John
Does the code say the pipe has to be buried, or IF it is buried it has to adhere to 300.5.

If it is installed on the surface and it has protection on both sides higher than the height of the pipe, isn't that compliant? assuming a good judgment from the AHJ.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard