Aside from access,clearance and height, what issues might come into play (aside from internal contact damage) with mounting a disconnect to the side of a transformer, a metal air duct, a condenser or other non-wall surfaces? Could you glue a disconnect to a glass surface? I see disconnects on AC condensers that would block the access for replacing the compressor motor. The inspectors never seem to mind. What do you think??
A few years ago I had a major argument with an Interior Designer about the location of a wall phone on the plans. He INSISTED that it be mounted exactly where he showed it.
When I finally 'caved in' and quite arguing I told him that it would be right where he had shown it, but I pointed out to him that the conduit would be surface-mounted. This threw him into another tizzy which finally ended when I showed him on the overall floor plan that the 'wall' where he wanted it was a full height window to the outside.
He then angrily told me that I could put it anywhere I wanted...I stopped myself before I offered a location that would have gotten me in trouble with anyone possessing delicate ears.
Been done somewhere? Did I hear someone mention my name?
We had a glass-enclosed architects' office, one that sat on the edge of an indoor pool. After our multiple RFI's were ignored, we mounted the thermostat to the glass with double-stick tape, and the t-stat wire just hanging in the air.
The install failed to be noticed through several inspections; only after 'final,' when the man's wife came to visit, was it noticed.
Yup, the 'award-winning architect' had so much glass that there wasn't a good place to mount the thermostat. Oops . Well, we eventually made a bracket for a door frame, and fished the wire through it.
I feel your pain, Not so long ago, I wired/fitted one of these "architecturally designed" "buildings", more glass than walls. Us contractors on site started calling it a fish-bowl.
Oddly enough it damned near turned into one as there was a hole in the roof where the un-supervised roofing labourer left out a bit of steel roofing profile and we had one of the biggest rain-storms of the winter season, overnight about 6 days from the end of the project. Many cielings were wrecked and most had to be replaced as well as the few walls that did exist the plaster-board was ruined.