ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Greg,

In NJ we have a form which is a "Variation" to the code. It has 3 parts, (I will paraphrase) 1) What part of the code can't you meet? 2) Why can't you meet the code? 3) How are you going to make up for the problem?

The Homeowner/EC signs it and I would sign it and the Construction offical would sign it. I have the option of accepting or rejecting the EC/HO request. If I accept it, the form goes in the file.

L
I am not an electrician nor do I know or understand the NEC.

Is it required that all three circuits need to operate simultaneously? Is three independantly operated disconnects suitable as long as there is sufficient labeling indicating that the water heater has multiple sources of power?

G
The "wink and smile" here is in relaxing the 110.26 violation when you put a disconnect in a closet. Whether they would extend this to a sub panel is questionable. Having a single OCPD in a disconnect box seems OK though.
The other place I see the "readily accessible" violation is when the air handler is hanging from unistrut in the garage ceiling. They generally have the disco up there too. That is great for the servicer but you can't reach it without a ladder.
There seems to be a lot of flexibility in the location of air handler disconnects, even by the same guy who will walk around the condenser disconnect with a yard stick.
The same seems to be true of water heater disconnects. They often show up in closets or in a corner of the garage where 110.26 can't be met, even before the homeowner starts bring in his stuff.
I suppose if I was a code nazi I would insist that the customer had the sub panel or disconnect in the hall outside the closet but still close enough that you could see someone approaching it from the water heater.
Buy a picture to cover it up.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard