ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What are your methods of stripping "Romex" (NM Cable) ?

Knife or Cable Rippers?

If knife, do you "score and rip", or whittle "paring" style?

Do you strip before inserting into the box, or after?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
sam Offline
klein makes a pair of strippers that will cut outer jacket of romex and stripe the individual wires.

I'd usually use a razor knife score down the middle of flat Rx or lightly score and spread round cables.

Have you had any problems with 3 wire cables shorting in metal rx connectors that were tightened too much?

Bill

Bill
Hey, that's the technique I use too!... I was wondering if it was kosher, I wasn't trained that way, I sort of developed it on my own. I was trained to "pare" the edge of the jacket, but I tend to damage more insulation that way, even though I would've never convinced Mr. Hixson of it!

As far as shorts due to NM Connectors, can't say I've ever run into the problem... But I can see how an overzealous trigger finger with a screwgun could easily set up this disaster.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
But I can see how an overzealous trigger finger with a screwgun could easily set up this disaster.
Actually it is much easier than that to cause the problem.

If the NM cable isn't lined up flat going going into the clamp, it is all too easy to pinch, such as when making a long-way quarter-bend to go into the side of a panel.

If someone finds a listed sheathing protector (tube), please tell me. Sometimes I make my own from sheathing stripped off 12-3-G NM.

It probably ought to be the rule that the sheathing has to be doubled back over the cable when it goes through a clamp.

S
a romex jockey makes a $$$ by speed, so technique , materials, etc follow suit.

a rx job can be methodically pulled, identified by whatever means of nomenclature, stripped, and boxed one step at a time. As to the latter, a cable stripper will leave any knife in the dust...

the jobs where the rx is pulled into a box without stripping usually are due to time constraints, not my 1st choice, creates more trim out time,and not a neat end result.
( i like the 1/4", no more...)

the two screw rx conn seriously needs to be submitted to the smithstonian, as they are laughably slow, ineffective in a row or behind each other, under-rated in comparision to the market, and a 'metallic' hazard.

good Q Virgil!

[Linked Image]

R
I get the impression that using a romex tool is looked at as amateurish by some guys (persons, sorry). However, after damaging my a certain amount of insulation, I realized that the romex ripper was designed for that particular job. So, even though it may take 3-4 seconds more, mostly I use it. Also, I agree its much better to remove the jacket during rough-in for the reasons sparky stated.

The metallic Rx connectors seem to have been made for flat cables. There's a little 'bump' on the clamp that will put too much pressure on the round cables if tightened even to proper levels. I think that it's a combination of the clamp and the way that the cables are made with thinner sheathing and insulation. I'd usually wrap a piece of tape around the cable first if I have to use these clamps with the round cables.

Bill
Tom Offline
I normally use a ripper for 2 wire RX & a properly dulled knife for 3 wire. I use the stab & pull method with the knife & if it isn't too sharp, it will ride the insulation of the conductors while slitting the jacket.

I still use the metal romex connectors, can't stand the buttons (like Arlington). The metal 2 screw connector do take some touch to install them, but, as usual, my cordless drill with the correct clutch setting does the trick.

Has anyone actually used the Klein strippers? They look like they would be very effective, but I'm not interested in replacing my $2 ripper unless there is a significant increase in speed or workmanship.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 06-15-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
I personally use and like the Klein NM stripping pliers. Ihave had no problems with them and it is possible to use them to strip a wire already install and clamped in a box,it may leave a little more of the jacket on the wire in a 2x4 box but no problems yet. Also it seems to be faster than a ripper no need to change tools to strip the wire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard