ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#196845 10/29/10 05:19 PM
Niko Offline OP
My client had a short on a GE 15A OCPD and it didn't trip. Today I tested that circuit breaker with a 30Amp load and it wouldn't trip.
Is GE another fire hazard panel? Have any of you had the same trouble?

http://www.circuitbreakerservice.com/images/THQP120.jpg

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Cat Servant
There are, believe it or not, different types of 'shorts.' Sometimes there is enough impedance - arcing is a high-impedance type of fault - that a breaker may respond slowly.

As for the 30-amp load, the question is: how long was the load applied? Breakers trip faster the greater the overcurrent condition.

Still, everything in this world shows variations in quality, and wear out / break down with time. Maybe you have a bad breaker - but that's no reason to suspect an entire product line.

M
A 15 amp circuit breaker is tripping on a time curve until around 38 amps where it starts to react in it's instantaneous range.
As a rule of thumb you need 6 to 8 times the rated current to trip any circuit breaker and most fuses in less than 8 cycles (instantaneous trip)
A 15 amp breaker will carry 135% or its rating for around an hour or about 20 amps.
So how long did you apply a %100 overload?

Then there are loose set screws, loose bonding terminals, and other bad connections that can add impedance to the fault path which can create sustained faults in the many minutes range where good connections might trip a breaker faster. Imagine your fault path is the EMT and several set screws are not tightened or worse the pipe separates. 8 ohms is enough resistance to allow a 15 amp breaker to feed a fault as if it was a load and the breaker never trips. Can you start a fire with 1800 watts? Sorry I will stop now as it is becoming a lecture.

Years back I had heating issues with a batch of GE 'Thin' single pole CBs. They originated in Mexico, and could have been the first batch from a GE plant relocation.

Returning the batch for replacements was no hassle at the then local GE Supply. Replacements were USA origin, at my insistance.

As Mikesh said, other issues could lead to a non, or long trip.

John
Niko Offline OP
As for the 30-amp load, the question is: how long was the load applied? Breakers trip faster the greater the overcurrent condition.

I left it on for about a minute.

Niko:
IMHO, a minute was not long enough. If you want to spend some time, contact a GE company/factory rep and inquire IF they have any interest in testing or disecting that baby.

If it's a fairly new CB they may have a vested interest in checking it out.

John
Niko Offline OP
The place is about 40 years old and so are the breakers.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Link Copied to Clipboard