ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Also bear in mind that these light fittings use 230V, not the 120V that they do in the US.
We also have RCD protection on our lighting circuits in domestic installations.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Mike, funny you should mention that ....

Fixtures with bases like the ones in the artwork (so-called "keyless" lampholders) are often in utility rooms, etc., where they are mounted on the wall, at about head height. Easy reaching distance. Likewise, they're used in attics and crawl spaces.

More to the point, we find light sockets within reach of any kid in the table lamp next to our favorite chair.

G
When I was a kid most of my experimentation was with C-7 lamps like nightlights and Christmas lights. For some reason parents don't see those as dangerous as a regular Edison base lamp.
The availability of discarded hardware around this time of year made them irresistible.
You did find out pretty fast that the old "series" C-4 bulbs didn't last very long at 120v.
"Somebody taking pictures"?

Greg Fretwell
H
Trumpy,

RCD protection? Did I miss something in a post? Or is it just too early on a monday morning and I am not awake yet? smile

C
Well I just can't wait for all the trouble TR will cause once it gets adopted here (soon).

I did a small device changeout job for one of my nicest older customers recently. He picked up the stuff at the box store and I came over to put it in. One of the problems with letting them get their own stuff is that invariably something shows up that is the wrong type or color or both. Both in this case, some light almond mixed with the ivory and a few TR receptacles. I hadn't noticed the TR until I put a couple in and he said just leave them. The next day he called and said with his arthritis he couldn't plug anything into them and could I stop by and replace them.

This is the same kind of "one size fits all" solution that has elderly people leaving the caps off of their medication once they get them off the first time. Bad idea.

Last edited by ChicoC10; 10/21/10 10:25 PM.
H
I have already have people ask me if they can remove the TR receptacles. Of course I said no, but what they do after I inspect??????? Some of our senior citizens do not like them, but again ??? We shall have to see.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard