ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Can I have a 240v. cord and plug connected car charging system?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

George:

Based on a quick read, NO.

The referenced article numbers within 625.13 lead me to say NO.

Now, if you have a 240 volt receptacle, and plug a car charger unit into that receptacle, that may be another story.

Last edited by HotLine1; 10/20/10 04:03 PM. Reason: correct my typing skill on second look...

John
G
It sounds like you may have a 110.3(B) problem if 240v chargers are only listed for direct connect ... like a C&P water heater.
OTOH if I had am electric car I might want a fast charger in the trunk with a long cord and a dryer plug on it ... just for visiting. wink

Greg Fretwell
I have not seen any car chargers...yet.
There have been numerous inquiries regarding permit fees from numerous people, but no applications.

John
G
The word "or" is a pretty big point here. The fact that a C&P 240v. unit could be "Listed" would mean that a receptacle too match is in order.

We are having the movers and shakers form GM and the charger people putting on a day and a half program for our IAEI Annual meeting in December and I'm sure this will be made clear smile

My spin on is that we could use a 240 volt charger and that it will possibly be hard wired or cord and plug connect take your pick.

George Little
L
Originally Posted by HotLine1
I have not seen any car chargers...yet.
There have been numerous inquiries regarding permit fees from numerous people, but no applications.

Be sure to go 'Green'.
And price accordingly ! (wink,wink,Nudge)

G
Pure electric cars are a niche product. You need to drive far enough to get your money back but you can't really drive too far. It looks like a good commuter car for a person in a temperate climate who has a 10-15 mile commute. The immediate question is what do you do for a heater? I guess that is why those Ed Begley guys in Southern California are such big fans.
You can't carry a big enough battery to duplicate the 15,000 BTUs you get out of the typical car heater. A/C would be the concern here, same problem. A car A/C is about 2 tons.

That all gets you back to the hybrid but you are still using gasoline and if you have the AC on you do almost as well just buying a cheap little econobox for a third the money.

Greg Fretwell
G
Very good points Greg, I'm sure that I will be having some answers in December. The Chevy Volt seems to be the only one that has any potential for use on long trips because the battery will run for about 40 miles and then the gas engine kicks in and charges the battery. So as long as you can get to a gas station you won't end up stranded with a dead battery. They are really pushing this technology here in the Detroit area. I think in a densely populated area the electric car concept will be fine but get out in the rural area and you probably won't be interested. We'll see.

George Little
G
If it is like a Prius, the engine is on when you run the A/C and the heat. As long as you are in "window down" weather you can save some money tho. I really was serious about making my Prelude electric. It is just a Civic in a sport jacket so there are kits available. Unfortunately when I ran the numbers, I don't drive far enough a month to make any economic sense and when I do go somewhere (usually Tampa, 150 miles away) it is too far.
If we could get FPL to let us use our golf carts on the easement and cut a short access path to the neighborhood behind the strip mall I shop at, I wouldn't use my car much.
Most of my daily trips are about 5 miles total and would be about a mile each way if I could go down FPL.

Greg Fretwell
The permit fee shoppers were some expediters involved with the Nissan Leaf.

FWIW, my Twp car is a Prius; 16K+ miles, dash computer says 39.6 MPG lifetime. Now, we had a hot summer, and it was 'on' most of the day, unless I had a long inspection. And, 98% is city driving.

Now, my personal commuter car is a '09 Civic, 27k+ miles, and 36.7MPG from day one. Most of that is 65+ h'way commute of 100 clicks round trip daily. Fanatical records on Excel.

I thought about a Prius last year (my old car was totaled in an accident), the Civic, and a Focus. The Civic won & I'm a satisfied guy.

As Greg said, crunching numbers could not justify the $$$ for the Prius as my personal ride.

Back to the subject....I think the first guy with an electric ride, who has aportable plug-in charger will be in the park adjacent to the muni bldg, using one of the many 208/240 volt outlets on the pole bases. Heck, we had an RV sitting there for about 2 weeks, 24-7 water & power at N/C.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard