ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Nice catch, Greg.

I like it.
Mind if I use that on my next job??

Ghost307
G
John was the one who had me back rereading it.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant

"Transient conditions" ... Thanks, Greg; I had forgotton about that addition to the code last cycle. So, I guess "Jimmy's BR" is out as a proper description.

When I built the new headquarters for a plumbing company, I took pains to lable the breakers as to the rooms they served. I described the offices in objective, directional terms, using points of the compass.

Alas, this firm now has a "Midwest Office" .... as well as a ""Mid-East Office" as well! Sometimes you just can't win. laugh

Last ('08) changes CEU I got a lot of heat about saying 'pink bedroom; yellow bedroom, etc' was NOT going to be compliant.

One EC asked if I (we) were going to carry a compass for N-S-E-W designations; or if I (we) were going to go from the basement up to the rooms to 'check'.

John
M
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I always get a kick out of the folks over at the homeowner BB who say you should just go downtown and get a copy of the electrical plan.
They assume it has all the breakers identified, point to point wiring diagrams and every outlet precisely identified on each circuit.
You are very lucky if the panel directory is close to right and nothing really looks like the plan.

We flatly refuse to take plans for residential suites, houses or rooms. Outlets are prescribed so when a dwelling unit is inspected the inspector gets out his tape and measures. 12 feet no plug then add 1. If I cannot tell if the wall has a bookshelf by looking at the building permit plans then it needs the plug either at rough in or at final when the bookshelf is not yet installed. Very simple.

G
That is exactly my point. Even in a tract house they usually allow some home owner options and that can change receptacle placement, They also let them add other things so when the electrician actually lays out the job, the plan is just a guideline. In most cases they don't even alter the electrical plan from the master, even if there are massive changes.
The county charges based on the price of the house, not by outlet so they don't care.

Greg Fretwell
Resi plans are more or less a floorplan layout, and the NEC requirements prevail upon inspections. Items above the quantities setforth in the original permit app are required to be updated before a CO is issued. Resi SFDs are great for options/extras.
As to our permit fees, they are based on items installed, not on the esitmated job costs.

Back to the topic.....
Today, a <$2M McMansion was red tagged for incomplete and incorrect panel directories. (4x40 circuit). ID was handwritten, legiable, and in english. IMHO, this was a deliberate 'fail' for finacial issues. An additional set of completed directories are to be provided to the HO prior to closing in Hindi. And..NO, I do not read Hindi.

John
G
My wife did have an engineer type owner who came over right before the FEPA/C and mapped every circuit point to point from the outlet back to each breaker but he also took the permits out of the permit box, down to Kinkos and burned a copy of the whole package. If he had asked they probably would have just given him a set. You are usually nice to a guy who is spending three quarters of a million.

Greg Fretwell
A
As a former inspector I ran into the problems of the Chinese labeled panel and more recently the Spanish labeling. Hard to tell if there are two kitchen circuits and a laundry in a house when none of the CBs are labeled kitchen or laundry. Cosina & lavadora (I think)
I was forced to allow it under the old rules because it was labeled, however I would usually get them to add English labeling when I explained that they might speak the language, but the $ 75 dollar an hour electrician might not and he would have to spend extra time tracing circuits.
Money talks.........

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
H
Everyone is talking about labeling the panel, but did you see the size of the directory? smile You don't even have enough room to write the word "Receptacle"!

I have seen where people go to the computer and print up a very nice new directory.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard