ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Greg:
Ya forgot Jersey....and New York?

John
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Greg:
Yes, I have red tagged illegible directories, or the ones with 'outlets' in all 40 spaces.

Yeah mate,
It really annoys the heck out of me, these people that don't give very good descriptions of what a CB controls.
After all, that's what a panel ID sheet is for, isn't it?

One thing about hand-written labels on panels, I know an Inspector that will fail an installation on sight of these works of art, he once told me that if you can't be bothered to get a cheap electronic label-maker, what does that say about your work ethic?
I'm not entirely sure I totally agree with that idea, but I've seen some panels that have little more than scribbled "words", like somebody was in a hurry to get away from the place! grin

G
I always get a kick out of the folks over at the homeowner BB who say you should just go downtown and get a copy of the electrical plan.
They assume it has all the breakers identified, point to point wiring diagrams and every outlet precisely identified on each circuit.
You are very lucky if the panel directory is close to right and nothing really looks like the plan.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I always get a kick out of the folks over at the homeowner BB who say you should just go downtown and get a copy of the electrical plan.
They assume it has all the breakers identified, point to point wiring diagrams and every outlet precisely identified on each circuit.

What??!! grin
That's pretty out of it, Greg.

G
I read one of those notes to my wife who built over 100 houses for a production builder and beer came out of her nose.

Greg Fretwell
T
In commercial wiring, full floor plans with circuit numbers in addition to directories are pretty much standard. In residential you usually get printed labels with more or less helpful notes - my pet peeve: "Room 1, Room 2,..."

Personally I try to use distinctive features of rooms like "bay room" for rooms with bay windows or the orientation of the room (front/street, back yard facing,...). Where that still doesn't allow for a clear distinction I add at least a scribbled sketch of the floor plan with room names or numbers.

G
Actually I find that Commercial works great for the initial installation, but after a few years you find the directory either:
-has never been updated
-lists "Bob's office" when Bob retired 3 years ago
-"new copier" in an office with copiers all over the place.

I find that the scribbles are often more reliable than the typed/printed cards; if only because whoever put it in had a pencil handy in their pocket.

BTW, a few years ago I saw a safety switch at Midway airport that was still in use and labelled "Fred Harvey". That was pretty tricky to track down since Fred Harvey restaurants have been out of business for many years...and tenants change at the drop of a hat over there.

Ghost307
Reno:

You wrote "I've looked all through Article 90, and I can't find the part that says that "The purpose of the code is to make things easier for the inspector." If we're going to 'red tag' something, perhaps it's time for some more specific rules."

The more specific rule is within Article 408.4 spells out the directory issues. When I did the '08 changes CEU's that was a hot topic with some ECs.

John
Cat Servant
27 out of 50? Looks like some progress is being made.

I'll agree that any sort of "official" language rule is enough to mandate a directory in that language. Absent such a rule, I think we'd have to accept a directory in Klingon!

G
Actually 408.4 eliminates most of these problems if you just enforce it

No circuit shall be described in a manner that depends on transient conditions of occupancy.

In a year when that Chinese restaurant goes out of business and a pizza joint moves in, nobody will be able to read that directory.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard