ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#196152 09/16/10 11:37 AM
Cat Servant
Let's assume that you are asked to mount a new panel next to an existing panel. I'd like your opinions on a few design issues:

1- Do you mount the smallest/cheapest panel you can, get one a little bit larger (for future growth, or do you try to match the physical size of the first panel?

2- Do you attempt to match the original brand of breaker, or do you install the brand YOU prefer?

3- If the new panel is a different size than the first one, how do you line them up? By the KO's you use to connect them? By the top or bottom edge? On center?

G
1. If I'm going to ever be back or play on upselling more work, I'll make my life easier with a panel that has some spaces left in it. If it's strictly $$, I'll tend to go as cheap as possible. But before I leave zero spaces, I'll ask the question if they want to spend a few more bucks to have some extra blanks for the future. Usually they want to go up just a tad to save ripping out a new install to replace it when the whirlpool tub goes on sale at the big box store.

2. Same as #1. If I have to move a breaker from the main panel to the sub, it makes life easier if they're the same ones.

3. Generally I'll try to line up the tops of the tubs. If I'm mounting one below the other, I'll line up the centerlines unless there's a wall of something that make me rather line up one of the sides instead.

Ghost307
Reno:
What I have seen...

1: Most ECs install panels with additional spaces, a few install the bare minimum.

Personally, I would install one with additional space.

2: This is about a 50-50 split.

Personally, I would match what is there, if it is still available; if no...my brand of choice.

3: To many variations.

Personally, match line would be at the top.

John
Cat Servant
Personally, I would have thought: line up the tops of the panels. Then I did a bar / restaurant remodel.

After all the beer signs and mirrors and artwork was hung by the customer, I stepped back and looked at the result. The customer, under the direction of his watchful wife, placed each item exactly where sh directed. The end result? Almost a perfectly straight line along the bottoms of them!

Makes me re-consider my inclinations.....

G
How tall was she

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
laugh I'd say she was of "averge" height.

I think that if you visit a few local restaurants, etc., ... you might begin to see a pattern. It sure seems that way to me - things mounted 'above the waist' seem to be lined up with the bottoms even- at least more often than not.

G
I just assume if the bottom is closer the the eye line, that is what you line up to. If you are taller you will look at the tops.

Greg Fretwell
Going by the fact that most of our boards over here will be flush-mount as opposed to surface-mount, you would have the top of the sub-board level with the other board.

Future expansion is something that is an un-written rule amongst Electricians here, you never install a panel that only takes into account, only YOUR circuits.
Simply because, you could be the one, down the track that has to add new circuits in the future.
Why make life harder for yourself or the next guy just for the sake of a few dollars.
This is what Trade Practice is all about.

Last edited by Trumpy; 09/17/10 03:19 AM.
Remember, there are differences in "Trade Practice"!

Sometimes, it's horray for me and.......the next guy.

Sometimes it's down to dollars and cents, and not sense!

How about using the good ol' six switch rule, to avoid installing a main device?

John
H
John,

I have seen it done all different ways. I myself would always leave some extra room. Hopefully, I was the one to go back and do more work on the house. I would ask the homeowner if they were going to do more work on the house, if so then I also would offer several options, like asking the HO if they wanted to upgrade to a larger panel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard