ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#196064 09/09/10 07:56 PM
Niko Offline OP
I have a client that has 160 SQFT pool house with a bathroom. I said the way that I interpret the code, a GFCI protected receptacle is required within 3' of the vanity in the bathroom. The bathroom fits the definition stated in the code.
Of course the bathroom doesn't get used on regular bases.

what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Basin and one other specified fixture it is a bathroom.
GFCI required.

Greg Fretwell
G
If the bathroom doesn't get used very often, it's still a bathroom and needs the GFCI.

Kinda reminds me of a Production Manager I worked with at Zenith. He had a room that needed to be wired to be explosionproof but he argued that he only used it once a week. In the interest of saving money (being cheap) he wanted me to see if there was a way to make it "semi-explosionproof".

That was quite a while ago and I STILL get a chuckle out of that question.

Last edited by ghost307; 09/10/10 10:23 AM.

Ghost307
Cat Servant
MUST a detached pool house on a residential property be considered under the rules that apply to 'residences?'

After all, a bathroom in a commercial location, or a 'public' bathroom, are not required to have the receptacle.

Design factors: As a general principle I'm in favor of having a receptacle; they always turn out to be handy, often for the most unexpected reasons (think of how 'wheelchair ramps' have helped the UPS guy!). Yet ... bathroom ... pool ... pool equipment ... chlorine fums ... such a receptacle might be nothing but a maintenance headache.

G
I agree with Reno, receptacle is optional, that is unless it's on the plans.

George Little
G
Any receptacle in the bathroom "area" of that building would require GFCI. The open question is only whether you need a receptacle next to the sink.

Greg Fretwell
Reading the NEC definitions, IF this pool house is detached from the dwelling unit, I would have to say no receptacle is required.

The 'pool house' does not qualify as a dwelling unit, in and of itself. The same would apply to a detached garage (man cave) with a bathroom, unless it had all the items within the dwelling unit definition.

Now, from a design side, why not install the receptacle with GFI? Although Reno leans toward the GFI being a maintenance issue, it sure may prove to be a convenience item.

John
Cat Servant
Thanks for the support .... with this professional group, it's always an accomplishment when one post makes the 'conventional wisdom' do a 180!

Hotline, it's not that I 'lean' one way or the other. Rather, it's the result of an article (of which I was generally quite critical) that brought to my attention the problems GFCI's have with corrosion ... especially when located near pool equipment.

That article described many GFCI's that failed in the 'power on' mode due to corrosion of the innards. What the article failed to stress (among other things) is that all the failed units pre-dated the latest, more robust versions.

Along the lines of that article, though, I might consider the use of "WR,' 'corrosion rated,' or remote located (in the panel) GFCI protection.

An awful lot depends on the specifics of both the job and the customer. These design choices are why we get the big bucks laugh

Reno:
FWIW, the comm pools at the country clubs I worked at, I used Hubbell Spec Grade GFI devices, and never had an issue.

Yes, the 'resi' grade have issues, the 'cheap' resi grade have issues...

When the $$$ make sense to the client, that's where the big bucks used to be.

John
G
I am sure if you asked the customer, they were expecting to get some receptacles out there. Code minimums are interesting for academic conversations but in the real world I doubt they are that relevant. If these people have a pool house, they are going to be expecting some creature comforts.
Because of the usage I would want to see GFCIs everywhere and cite it as all being a bathroom "area".
You are going to have wet people with bare feet walking around in there.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard