ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#195391 07/29/10 11:25 PM
J
jay8 Offline OP
Anyone know of an approved product that can be used to repair broken/separated flexible metallic conduit? I have a 4" flex with 500mcm feeders to switchgear with the flex broken. So I am hoping I can repair in place without shutdown, remove,replace flex, repull, reterminate, etc etc.

Jay:

There is no product that I know of for what you described.

Looks like an R&R job

John
G
The first question would be how was it separated in the first place. You may have a physical damage problem that precludes FMC.
I have seen people weave this stuff back together but I still would not try it hot. This was not uncommon under computer room floors. I even had a picture in the IAEI magazine of that. Joe T may still have it on his web site in the violations area.

Greg Fretwell
T
Such damage, presumably within the Electrical Room, is very disturbing.

I rather suspect that the flex was buckled during the original installation.

Alternately, the custodian/owner has been stacking 'stuff' on top of the flex until failure.

We've all seen it: the E Room becomes the closet to jamb everything under the sun for the custodian.

I see an R&R in your future.

Tesla
Duct Tape :P

J
jay8 Offline OP
It was likely due to installation damage since its location makes it unlikely to be hit. It was a little tedious but I was able to wind it back together since it was fairly close to the connector, which saved quite a bit of grief. I knew there were approved kits to repair in use underground conduit, so I was fishing for something similar for flex. thanks for the feedback - i will save the duct tape repair idea for another time.

Link Copied to Clipboard