ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 374 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Dawg Offline OP
My in laws recently moved into an older home. Not sure when it was built, but the house does contain such things as T slot receptacles and it even still has a fuse box.

The fuse box, made by Murray, has 4 30 amp fuses in it, and also has these bakelite looking things with handles on them. It has 3 of those, 2 of them sit above the fuses and the other one is slightly bigger that sort of sits off to the side.

I haven't seen a fuse boxin so many years that was still powering a home. Anyone know what was the lastyear they used fuse boxes in american residences?

Thanks in advance.

G
Probably the mid 70s (my 1971 house had fuses), although if you have S adapters in the edison base sockets I am not sure why you couldn't install one today.

Greg Fretwell
E
Dawg, that sounds like a classic 60 or 100 amp split-bus fuse panel, likely from the 1940's. Most had one pullout for the range and one for the water heater (the ones at the top). The third one was the lighting section main which controlled power to the lower fuse sockets. I know that these panels are plentiful in the older areas in North Carolina. My grandmother's house had one.

The more modern ones had take-off lugs to allow the feeding of a sub panel when more lighting/appliance circuits were needed behind the lighting main.

GE even made a circuit breaker panel (60's era) that allowed plug-in breakers or plug-in fuse socket modules. These allowed for two circuits per stab on the bus bar. Obviously, they didn't last long.

Square D made modules in their "QO" circuit breaker line that had miniature fuse holders, but they used cartridge-type fuses, not the traditional Edison-base or type S. The last time I saw them "new" and still being installed was in 1978. Those didn't last long either. Why bother?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Cat Servant
It's hard to put an exact date on the transition; in most instances, it's safe to say 'the mid-60's.'

The changeover was encouraged by two things: homes began to see more circuits (and fuseboxes with more than six 1-pole circuits were fairly cumbersome), and homeowners perceived that breakers were 'better' (no matter what the fuse makers claimed).

Personaly, I think that the changeover was also encouraged by two unrelated developments: the acceptance of Romex, and the adoption of the ground wire (bonding conductor). Breaker panels just seemed more 'friendly' to having the additional ground buss, and the use of a cable just begged for the neutral to terminate somewhere near the breaker. Toss in a few other innovations -like wire nuts- and the change seemed inevetable.

G
The panel in my old house in Md has about 20 edison fuses in it and a couple of 2 pole pullouts. (HVAC and Dryer).
It is 200a. The main is a breaker as I recall.
I will see if I can talk my ex into taking a picture of it.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

I remember also that there was a fuse with a little pop button in it. It looked like a fuse and worked like a circuit breaker. I only saw some of them around here but I think you have seen them down there. This back in the days of *P*, which seems like a million years ago. smile

M
Harold, I think I saw some of the fuse mini breakers in one of the big box hardware stores a little while ago. I can't remember if they were branded Buss or GB.

A friend of mine parents house had them years ago (mid 70's) in their fuse panel and they seemed to work ok.

Cat Servant
The breakers that fit in fuse holders are made by "Miniture Breaker" and sold by Bussman. They are available in 15 and 20 amp.

Such breakers are UL listed, allowed by code, and can be used to replace Edison base fuses.

When these breakers are used in place of fuses, there is no code requirement to instal the type 'S' reducing adapters.

G
Harold is messing with you. I sent him a few back in the day, when he couldn't find them up north.

Greg Fretwell
D
Dawg Offline OP
Here's a pic of the inside of the box if it helps...

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

There's another bake lite pull out that sits off to the side that doesn't have any fuses below it. In the octagon it doesn't say anything like "main" or "range" like the other 2 do. However the metal trim ring that surrounds it doe say "service disconnect". I'm guessing this is the main breaker for the box?

Last edited by Trumpy; 12/25/11 10:55 PM. Reason: Added pic to electrical photos. com, added image here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard