ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AMP Offline OP
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and somewhat new to electrical work. I was an Electrician's apprentice a few years ago and I am taking my test in January for my license. I love doing electrical work especially repair and troubleshooting (believe it or not).

My preference on tools and testers is Greenlee. I do own some tools made by GB,but the quality doesn't compare. I own the GET-1200 (circuit tracker)by GB and I find it hard to use.I'm just wondering what some of the veterans use.

Thanks and have a good day. [Linked Image]

E
Klein, Greenlee, Ideal

That's what you'll find me using and I'll bet you get the same answer from most othewrs here. If you want your tools to last and perform, it does matter who made them in this field. I'm sure we've all been sucked into buying a GB tool or 2, just to find there really was a good reason for the price diference.

A
AMP Offline OP
Yeah it proves the old saying "You get what you pay for".

S
I am with ElectricEagle,

Klein, Greenlee, and Ideal. I do like GBs 1/2" EMT bender with bubble level.

G
klein, greenlee, ideal, craftsman, and fluke.

S
I'm with the rest of the gang...you will find nothing but Klein and Ideal in my tool bag. Greenlee makes awesome quality stuff too. These are quality brands and well worth the money for serious professionals.

Since we're on the subject of tools, I might add that we love our Makita power and cordless tools too. The new 24V Makita MAKSTAR line is simply amazing and built well.

C
CRW Offline
Klein for side cutters, dikes, screwdrivers, Ideal strippers, Channel-lock tongue & groove pliers, Fluke meters and testers. Craftsman for misc. tools--files, socket sets, wrenches, tape measures, because when they break you can usually trade them back in no questions asked.

A
Klein hand tools, Stanley tapes, lots of Sharpies, Dewalt and Craftsman power tools, Greenlee KO kits.

Now for benders... I use GB benders and love 'em. About half of my employees use Ideal benders and hate GB benders. I guess it's like the ford vs chevy thing.

G
Klein,Milwaukee,Fluke meters.

H
Hey Amp,

Welcome to the board.
I was a contractor for 15 years and now I am an inspector and I also have to go with the guys here. I used Klein, Ideal, Gardner-Bender, Amprobe, and all of the common names that most supply houses would stock. However for some hand tools, I would also recommend, Craftsman. For power tools, Bosh, Porter Cable, Milwaulukee.

Harold

I think I spelled that wrong. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard