ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194775 06/21/10 09:13 PM
S
SJT Offline OP
I installed a few Hunter Ceiling fans over the years. Figures, in my own house a have a problem with one I installed 2 years ago. There was a broken pull chain (3 speed) and I replaced it. Middle speed did not work. My son, broke the chain again, replaced the switch, and now it don't shut off. I started to check it again. Is it possible, there is a bad capacitor? I'm ready to buy a new fan. I've changed out a few 3 speed switches, with no problem. I put a call into Hunter to try and get a schematic. I don't know if they will give those out? I thought it was going to be a quick job before dinner. Thanks

SJT #194777 06/21/10 09:50 PM
SJT:
Try this site
http://www.eceilingfans.com/switches_-_pull_chain_-_ceilin.html

Or...Hunter customer service via landline

John
S
I had one quit working in my house after 2 years. I finally took it apart and the starting cap had buldged melted. I called and the manufacturer sent me a starting capacitor at no charge. I do not know the brand, hunter or harbor breeze, but they were very helpful.

S
SJT Offline OP
Thanks HotLine 1

SJT #194782 06/22/10 12:57 PM
K
I find that every ceiling fan manufactures internal wiring and switch design seems to be different.
I always try and find the common lead first and then proceed to test for the individual speeds by connecting the wires one at a time and turning the power on and off.
I find that using an ohm meter to try and identify individual windings in this instance is usually is more work than it’s worth, due to the capacitor[s], reversing switch and other components connected in there.
The replacement switches I use have L,1,2,3 marked on them, so at least that part is easy enough to figure out.

Link Copied to Clipboard