ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194622 06/14/10 01:14 PM
S
I think I have ask this question before, but I couldn't find it in the archives. Does the 2008 code say that the swimming pool pumps have to be on a GFI circuit? And do the receptacles still have to be at least 10ft. away and not more than 20ft.? I seem to remember the code may have changed the distance on the receptacles. I don't have a 2008 code book, only 2005. Thanks a lot.. Steve

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Cord and plug pumps have been required ti be GFCI for a while, 2008 made virtually all hard wired pumps GFCI too.
They reduced the distance for all receptacles to 6' but they all have to be GFCI within 20' of the pool.

The rule that doesn't make sense now is the one that says the pump needs a twist lock plug ... but you can still have a regular 5-15 in the same box. (6' - 10' from the pool)

Greg Fretwell
S
Greg, thanks for the info. I finally got access to the 2008 Code:) In my situation with a job I'm bidding now, the pump receptacle will be setting closer than 10ft. from the inside wall of the pool,but not less than 6ft. therefore I will have to make the cord no longer than 3ft.on the motor and put a twist lock plug on it. What I don't understand is, that if the motor is suppose to not have a cord longer than 3ft., why does the motor manufacturer put a 6 ft. cord on it? This is the second pool I've dealt with that had a 6ft. cord on it. No big deal, just wondering why they are not required to put a 3ft. cord on it. Thanks again, and by the way what did you mean when you said " but you can still have a regular 5-15 in the same box?

H
Sparkync,

A lot of the time these pumps come with a cord that is longer than 3', they also come with 16 ga wire and they also come with a tag that states, "This cord is just for convenience, the pump must be wired as per the latest NEC."... or something like that. So even with all of that, you have to remove that cord, install a 12 ga wire that is rated for wet location, and keep it to 3' max.

G
If you have the box for the pump 6-10' from the pool you must use a twist lock plug on the pump but you can also have the required convenience receptacle in the same spot with a 5-15 in it.

"Lucy, 'splain that to me"

It made sense when the convenience receptacle needed to be 10' away.

Greg Fretwell
L
Massachusetts has been requiring twist lock and GFI ever since time began- (mine, '82 trade wise).

Then the big thing is- order motors without the cord.
1) you need a 12G insulated ground
2) you void the UL removing factory cord

Yep,I have had my fair share of -"Is that a #12 in that cord?"
Of coarse it wasn't..so.....

Why the heck do the MFGRS make them and install 14/3-4 cords!!!?

H
leland,

It is CHEAPER! Just like when they install AL lugs on the pool heaters. I called UL and asked then will it void UL warranty if I make the EC change the lug from AL to CU? He said NO, you can fail the install if you want to, they didn't care. I now have seen where Hayworth was installing CU lugs on their pool heaters.

Link Copied to Clipboard