ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194636 06/14/10 04:31 PM
My family just got a used pool off of craigslist and when we were taking it down it had 2 grounding rods. One for the pump and the other was connected to the pool itself. I can understand why the pump needs to be grounded but why are the sides of the pool grounded. When we were taking it down the people told us that during a thunderstorm they were swimming in it. Is this logical to do since electricity cannot be carried through plastic.

Just a suggestion...
Hire a professional licensed electrical contractor!

G
There is no good reason to drive rods for a pool, only misunderstanding the rules.

I am assuming this is above ground.
Is it vinyl liner?
Is it metal frame?
Quick question to figure out what you bought.
What does the label say on the pump? Does it say "for permanent pools" or "for storable pools".

That makes a big difference in how you install it.

Storable pumps come with 25' cords and are really designed for homeowner setup. Permanent pools can get a lot more complicated and are designed for professional installation.

No matter what, I am sure you know you need GFCI protected outlets out there and keep the pool >6' away from the closest one when you set it up. The hitch in using an existing circuit for the pump is permanent pool branch circuits need an insulated 12 gauge ground (not the bare wire in UF)
Bonding is another issue. All metal within 5' of the pool needs to be bonded to all the other metal, including the cases of all electrical equipment and any paved surfaces. You do this with 8 gauge solid copper wire. Now you also have to bond the water.
This gets relaxed quite a bit with storable pools since you should be using all double insulated equipment listed for the purpose that might not have bonding lugs.

John is right about getting a licensed electrician. Pools are a different breed of cat and the hazards are multiplied by people, water and electricity in the same place. If there is no light and the pump is the only equipment you may only be buying one circuit with a pool compliant twist lock receptacle and a bond wire. The pro won't cost you that much. You can save some money by digging in the conduit yourself. Just be sure to leave it open until it gets inspected. I haven't seen many electricians who fight to dig in the summertime. wink
No matter what, buy the pool permit and get it inspected. That will keep you out of trouble with code enforcement (the nosy neighbor police) and give you some confidence that it was done right.
In most places that have "owner builder" permits, the inspectors will help you if you do insist on doing this yourself but we can't advise that here.

Greg, you cavered it all, just note that here in NJ the AHJs/Inspectors cannot do any 'design' to assist homeowners.

John
G
In Florida (at least Lee County) the inspectors do seem to be pretty helpful. They don't get into design issues, the plan review side is pretty hard nosed. Once you do get your permit the inspection side will work with the owner builders to get a safe and compliant installation.
I think it is just to make the process appealing enough so homeowners will get a permit in the first place. Out in the unincorporated county, the distrust of anything government can make it hard to sell permits and unlikely that anyone will report it if you don't.

Greg Fretwell
G
I have been thinking about the ground rods on the pool.
There is certainly no code requirement for them but it did get me wondering if, during a lightning event, would save the liner in your pool? We know, as a general concept, that you want to shunt that lightning strike into the earth with as direct a path as possible. There may be some virtue to grounding the frame of an above ground metal pool to avoid the water/ground path via the liner. I know I have several bonding wires around the perimeter of my pool cage into the footer steel, just for that reason. To make it work I think you would need air terminals on the frame but the fence they put on top might do that.

In any case I doubt it would add to safety. When you hear thunder or see those 20,000 foot tall clouds rolling in, get out of the pool and go inside. The lightning still might see your wet head sticking out of the water as the most attractive target.

Greg Fretwell
I know Im the one who posted this thread but is it really necessary to go through getting it inspected. Im a certified electrician( Not with the union)but I have completed 955.32 hours of training at my vocational school and with the use of the code book would I really have to go off and get it inspected. Just wondering. Im fresh out the box and I havent really dealt with swimming pools but like I said with a 2008 NEC Code Book could I pass up the inspection. And yes it is an above ground swimming pool with metal siding

Last edited by theelectricman; 06/15/10 03:10 PM.
First and foremost....it's you, and possibly your family that will be using the pool.

Second...in most areas it is the law to get an inspection amd a permit.

John
H
theelectricman,

Also welcome to this board, (if nobody else has said that yet.) and if you are that good with the NEC, you should not have any problem passing an inspection from the local AHJ.

As John said, the first and foremost thing is safety for the family. I have seen where "qualified" installer miss something, so having a second pair of eyes on an install helps to find these missing problems.

Link Copied to Clipboard