ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
That is a rough job.
I'm amazed that the POCO get's away with that.
Partially uncovered cables at a road crossing, hardly any warning signs and across that fence.
How long did they keep that going for ?

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
G
Hope nobody tries to steal those cables, what with the price of copper these days...

Sometimes not getting what you want can be an incredible stroke of luck.
I'm assuming they are probably aluminum? Would be a pretty good steal if they were copper, assuming you got past the HV "security" system.

G
At 60Hz, the voltage in each cable goes to zero 120 times per second.

You can steal the wires while energized, but you need to have perfect timing and be really, really, really quick.

smile

Ghost307
H
John,

The PoCo is the one in northern NJ. This all came about ( I found out) due to overtime. The factory didn't want to be without power during the day and the PoCo didn't want to pay the OT to their guys to work at night. SO, they just left the wire on the ground. The administrator in my town got on the phone with the PoCo and gave them holy hell. However it still took 2 weeks to resolve the issue. In that 2 weeks, kids and dogs played in the area and the town trucks plowed the snow.

H
Did anyone see the e-mail going around called Dallas copper thieves? That shows you what happens when you try to steal HV wires while they were on.

S
A man was badly burned here about 6 months ago trying to steal copper cable. think the report said 11kv.

L
Holy Crap

Luke McCoy The NEC Crazy Boy
Originally Posted by harold endean
Did anyone see the e-mail going around called Dallas copper thieves? That shows you what happens when you try to steal HV wires while they were on.

Yep I got that email..it was extremely graphic but proved the point of how dangerous the theft practice is.

As for what the OP posted..heads would roll if our local POCO tried that stunt. Our county code enforcement officials are ruthless here.

There was absolutely no excuse for the half-butt work shown in those pics.

Stupid should be painful.
H
MX,

Luckily that mess was only on the ground for a week, which is 6 days and 23 hours too long! However nobody got hurt. This also happened in the last winter and the town was still plowing roads. Imagine if there was a snow fall and the road dept. didn't see that wire laying on the road! Ouch!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard