ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

This is the electrical equipment in the basement of an apartment building I actually used to live. It wasn't as bad when I lived there. The building has been sold and changed 3-4 times since then, and is currently unoccupied and condemned.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pics. Not much phases me much anymore. Onlt thing that amases me that its still works and no one hase been killed by it.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
The fact that it's condemned would suggest that the electrical is not the only thing that has been mutilated.

E
A lot of the buildings around here have been condemned, many due to design flaws rather than maintenance issues. Lack of adequate fire escape seems to be a common trend. We have way more apartment buildings than people to fill them, so any given street in our "sea of apartments" will have 2-3 condemned buildings.

The two just down the road from me are actually being renovated now, and the monster 18-unit one I've had my eyes on (biggest residential building in my small town) has been purchased, I have no idea what they plan to do with it.

When I lived in this building, my entire apartment, except for one outlet, was on a single fuse. All of the original wiring was knob&tube, but someone had redone the interior and spliced NM to it in the ceilings to drop to the receptacles. In order to achieve section 8 approval, outlets needed to be grounded, or at least pass testing with one of those three-LED plug-in testers, which someone discovered they could achieve by tying ground to neutral...

... well, whoever did the drops in my kitchen got hot and neutral reversed, so my microwave oven was "grounded" to hot... Imagine my surprise when I slid it across the counter to clean under it and it contacted the kitchen sink...

T
Now combine grounds tied to neutral with a California 4-way and a receptacle between one of the 3-ways and the 4-way and you have Germany's most dangerous wiring contraption ever (depending on the position of the 3-ways the ground is tied either to the hot or neutral). Side note. unfortunately this kind of grounding (without California switching of course) was up to code and very common until 1973 in the West and 1990 in Eastern Germany.

P
Hasn't anyone noticed the fpe?

N
Originally Posted by PAteenlectrician
Hasn't anyone noticed the fpe?

The FPE gear is fusible so the issues you are thinking of are not there.

P
I'm still wondering about quality issues.

S
In that set up, a FPE issue is least of it's problems

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
P
A simple soloution would be a match. Salvage the copper, first!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard