ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194277 05/20/10 09:31 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
I bought a decent light meter that measures Lux/FC, etc., quite a while back in anticipation of using it frequently for potential lighting retrofits and upgrades, especially with all the energy efficiency talk being spouted in recent years.
As it turns out though, it has basically sat on the shelf since the day I got it.
So I'm just wondering... how often do you actually find yourself using your light meter?

KJay #194279 05/20/10 10:25 PM
I used mine to check lighting installs at three tennis court jobs I did. Maybe once or twice for office space, that's it. Basically, to me it was something that was needed, but not used often.

Now, as an AHJ....I recently used it three times since late Nov. 09 to verify light trespass complaints between homeowners and retail developement.

The list of seldom used tools/equipment...to be continued:
Cadweld molds...
Johnson Bar
1-1/4" EMT hand bender. (Forgot to buy the 800# gorilla)
Chain Fall & Come-alongs
Amprobe Digital Recorder

All necessities when you need them.

John
HotLine1 #194288 05/21/10 05:12 PM
S
SJT Offline
It's a good meter to have. The IESNA has a good chart for amounts of Foot Candles in various locations. Good, if your selling a job, to tell the customer, the lighting is not enough. Some cases, too Bright.
Good Day

SJT #194291 05/21/10 10:12 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
I suppose it's not the first time I've bought something that took a several years to actually get any use out of. I find that things such as this will usually save the day at some critical point in time in the future though.

KJay #194302 05/22/10 09:39 AM
Cat Servant
It's nice to have such a meter - especially if there are questions about lighting quality. Essential? No, but nice.

When you first get it, you tend to run around checking everything. It's a great learning tool, helping you to understand what you see.

Later, it lets you answer some questions, such as: is my CFL really as bright as a 100w bulb? Has it got dimmer since it was new?

You can also begin to better understand the difference between 'light quality' and 'light quantity.'

I recommend that you do two things, which together will really help your appreciation of lighting issues:

First, make yourself a list of actual places you've measures. For example, measure a few kitchen counters, and see how a 'well lit' counter compares to a 'just ok' one.

Second, set up some area for lighting experiemnts. For example, see just how much difference adding another light makes; compare the 'measured' difference to the 'percieved' difference.

renosteinke #194309 05/22/10 10:08 PM
T
Upgrading dark parking lots is the number one thing that pops into my head.

Most testers stand only at the ready... and then they do their thing!

It's just the way things are.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard