ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19420 12/28/02 10:03 AM
C
Cindy Offline OP
when i read some of the subjects here it looks like house inspections are not required some places, but i can't tell where they are from someitmes. i know in oregon and california they have to do inspections. is there a list somewhere? it would be interesting to see

#19421 12/28/02 01:54 PM
S
what would spark interest is mortality & morbidity stat's to follow suit,

and perhaps a trade association with the 'nads to publicly apply them...

#19422 12/28/02 09:15 PM
Cindy,
What type of inspections are we talking here?. [Linked Image]

#19423 12/29/02 10:17 AM
C
Cindy Offline OP
i meant to say residential type inspections, 1 or 2 family services, rough-ins, and finals. i guess i assume everyone needs to have mulifamily and commercial and industrial inspections

#19424 12/29/02 11:21 AM
A
AMP Offline
Indiana is pretty tough on inspections.
Contractors: All new residential electrical construction is to have a rough-in and finish inpections.
Remodel inpections: if any structural member or members is exposed, you are required to have an inspection.

As a homeowner: you are allowed to do electrical, plumbing, and general work to the residence, without an inspection, as long as the homeowner is the occupant. It is because of this section of code that many plumbing and electrical contractors are kept busy doing troubleshooting and repair work.

#19425 12/29/02 09:15 PM
Cindy:
Here in NJ, the State has a Uniform Construction Code; it consists of various building codes that are adopted by the State.
Inspections are as follows:

Resi 1 family that the owner resides in, the owner can perform his own work (all trades, except asbestos and lead paint abatement) and all permits ARE REQUIRED.

Multi family resi, comm & ind electrical & plumbing must be performed by licensed contractors. Owners cannot do any work.

Most localities have a registration or licensing of other types of contractors, to maintain some controls. Architects & engineers are all stste licensed.

PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL WORK, EXCLUDING "MINOR REPAIRS". The specific info is printed in the NJ UCC (5:23 et al)

Plans are required for all work (except minor resi 1 family) Class 1 towns require all plans by lic. engineer/architect, signed & sealed; submitted with permit applications for plan review.

Inspections are required....
Rough, Final, Service, Trench, Slab conduit etc.

C/O, TCO, C/A, CCO Etc are also required. We generate a lot of paper..

BTW, the town that I work in as an electrical inspector (Part Time) issued 4100 electrical permits for '02, & that does not include "updates", "Change of contractor" etc.

I think I condensed about 900 pages of UCC regs into the above few paragraphs. Hope this helps you in your quest for info.

Happy New Year
John

John
#19426 12/30/02 12:05 AM
H
Cindy,

I agreee with John. Here in NJ it is pretty well spelled out for contractors. We have lic. laws for electric. Contractors and Plumbers. These people should know what is expected of them. Plus they should know when inspections are required of them.

Harold

#19427 12/30/02 02:19 AM
N
Cindy
Nebraska like NJ has a good electrical law. But I can go over to Iowa be outside a city limit and no permit,license or any inspection is required. Iowa does not have a state electrical board and it law is very weak.
Different areas have different rules and results. If you chose to travel for work you have to get familiar with the local requirements, if any.

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard