ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 212 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Electrical panels mounted sideways is a normal practice in Canada. We have no code rule about breakers needing to be up when on.

Last edited by jdevlin; 04/07/10 11:48 AM.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
E
Isn't it also because the main breaker is enclosed in a separate compartment of the panel and branch circuits can't pass through there and exit the top?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
I love these shows... as comedy.

Reno Realities is designed to show the downside to their own DIY content.

BTW they are sending out low rent camera crews, typically on their first gigs, who know nothing about construction. That's the key to the entire show: no expert advice to get in the way of the fun.

The family arguments are hardly staged.

With enough frustration and ignorance astounding follies are possible.

What few HOH I've seen focus on insanely hack work done by what figure to be illegal immigrants. For the most part the original crews didn't even know left from right when they hacked into the job.

Holmes' basic story: use a licensed professional with an established reputation. Forget the clowns with the low-ball quote. They represent clones of RR -- who must have written the book on track-shoe construction.

Tesla
R
I think these type shows help our industry by educating the buyer

G
The DIY folks still balk at the prices...but when they show that 4 days of trying can be straightened out by a real tradesman in a couple of hours at least people are finding out that what we do only looks easy.

J
Originally Posted by EV607797
Isn't it also because the main breaker is enclosed in a separate compartment of the panel and branch circuits can't pass through there and exit the top?

I don't know if that is a reason but the separate compartment is true.

Cat Servant
Lest I be accused of "Seagull Management," I apologize for my lack of participation - it's just that I am currently working in an area that has less internet access than rural Cambodia frown Still, I am delighted that this thread has some life to it.

There's a reason I placed the thread in the 'business' section. Make that two reasons.

First, the various customers have expressed a willingness to 'get it right.' Sort of makes me wonder if, perhaps, we're in error when we assume the customer is only interested in 'cheap.' Along with this, the shows illustrate what can go wrong.

Sure, there is the occasional job where some hack charges Rolls-Royce prices and delivers a broken Yugo. There are also a number of episodes, though, that show jobs that went wrong when the contractor went beyond his abilities, either in skill, or scale. There are business lessons there.

Second, one contractor has pointed out to me that he can tell when folks have been watching "Holmes;" they expect a contract, and expect the job to be done right. There's less customer resistance, or desire for 'half-measures.'

I like the way both Mike and Cindy are quite up-front with the customers as to what they offer. Their presentations, from first contact to the close of the job, stress just how much MORE they're doing than someone else might. There's some lessons in salesmanship there!

I'll agree that I'd like to see some more detailed financials for each Holmes job. I'd really like it if every show closed with "Mr. Smith paid $25,000 to a hack for a job that we would have charged $28,000. With the additional work required to fix the mess, we ended up charging him $35,000. More important, what should have been a 5 week job festered for 15 months, between the hack's efforts, our demo, and our work."

Regarding Cindy Stumpo, I'd like to see some of her financials. I'd like to see just how much more it costs to 'do it right,' as opposed to the main differences in price being the real estate and custom marble expenses. Does it really cost more to do quality work? Are the higher labor rates offset by less wasted material and time - and fewer call-backs?

I wonder how many hacks really want to be hacks .... is it possible that they just don't know how to run a job site, or a business?

G
I don't usually watch these shows but last night I saw one of the TOH guys (Tom?) sitting crossways on top of an 8' step ladder with one foot on the top step and one foot on the paint shelf, running a sawzall. I doubt OSHA would approve of that. When the camera pulled back I was hoping someone was at least holding the ladder ... nope.

Greg Fretwell
Norm is my favorite carpenter on tv. He is both modest and a good teacher. But he still uses the table saw without a riving knife or guard sick......and of course the DIY guy watching him does not have to put $$$ in the pot every Friday from his efforts no matter how long it takes. This is the main problem with 'quality' work - there is a limit somewhere between the Rolls-Royce no-effort-spared masterpiece job and what the customer is prepared to pay, so you don't starve. And every customer has a different take on where the break point is. Remember, there's a mug born every minute but they do tend to be cheapskates! bash

Wood work but can't!
...And I know I've posted this before, but here's Andy the Handyman [alias George Formby on his little ukelele] again, to show us how it's done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0x8kml-afs

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard