ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Jim M #192118 01/27/10 10:03 PM
L
Pools: No junction,No outlet,No AFCI.

Switch for the outside lights,If the neutral is in the sw. box that's an 'outlet.AFCI.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Jim M #192196 02/01/10 10:26 AM
H
I don't see the need for AFCI for circuits running through the bed room either. The contractors out there are telling me that the teachers who give us our continuing ed courses are saying that. The logic was, if you protected bedroom circuits with AFCI, then you should protect ANY wire running through the bedroom with AFCI. Again, this was their logic, not mine.

S
If you put a nail through a piece of romex (or any other arc-fault in a wall), it doesn't matter whether that circuit was feeding a bedroom receptacle or a bedroom light or just passing through- it's going to start a fire in the bedroom wall.

Limiting this to outlets doesn't make a whole lot of sense- if they wanted to protect receptacles and cord-related arc faults, they should have said receptacles. If they wanted it to apply to all conductors in bedroom walls to reduce the risk of people overcome by smoke in their sleep, they should have applied it to all conductors in bedrooms. Same thing for whole-house protection I'm at a loss as to what the real intent of this code is, and why it's worded the way it us.

Steve:
I agree with your logic! We have to get away from 'bedrooms' as there are other areas that require AFCI.

IMHO, if anyone is concerned (my word choice) of AF, there is no reson that the whole house could be AFCI, although it is NOT presently mandated by code. AFCI is 'new' here in NJ, as of 10/06/209 when '08 was adopted without an AFCI amendment, as in prior code cycles. That said, there is a project that had AFCI in the BR's only, by spec, and I'm not aware of any issues there to date.

We have a lot of 'growing pains' to go thru here in NJ with AFCI's, and as I have said to Harold, I'm not missing being an EC!

John
H
Steve,

You should know what the real intent of the code is. It is to sell more manufactures equipment. smile That is why all of the code changes. This is just my opinion.

S
yeah well, i stated a very similar case years ago here. As we in Vt were a code cycle ahead of the nation re; 210.12

years later, i log on to find people who sound just like i did back then

big surprise eh?

i guess it's like any other issue, it's gotta land on people's front doorstep before they can really see it for what it is

~S~

Sparky:

Amen, brother.

Another case of seeing is believing.

John
Jim M #192966 03/12/10 10:26 AM
H
I wouldn't require the feeder to an HVAC or pool running through a bedroom to be AFCI protected, however there are some AHJ's in this state that do. Plus they fail EC's for not installing it.

Last edited by harold endean; 03/12/10 10:27 AM.
L
Originally Posted by harold endean
I wouldn't require the feeder to an HVAC or pool running through a bedroom to be AFCI protected, however there are some AHJ's in this state that do. Plus they fail EC's for not installing it.

How? What code do they reference?

210.12(B) CLEARLY states: ......"circuits supplying OUTLETS installed IN.....

Then continues on to the percise locations.

Last edited by leland; 03/13/10 02:18 AM. Reason: Color code learning..
H
Leland,

I agree with you, that the EC should not have failed because there was no ACFI on HVAC systems. However as I said, some AHJ's try to push for somethings that are not in the code book. Most times the EC's will do what the AHJ wants just to keep the job moving. Plus they get paid quicker.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard