ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
KJay Offline OP
So, now that we are almost three months in to it, has 2010 been better or worse than you had hoped it would be so far?
Personally, I think it smells like the same dung... just a whole new pile.

On the plus side though, I believe I have found a guaranteed way to loose any small resi bid that comes around these days.
It's the last line on my estimates, which reads, Electrical Permit/Inspection Fee: City or Town of...

Almost every one of the potential resi service customers that I meet with lately to give that "free" estimate to has the same reply when I bring the subject up... You mean you need to pull a permit for this... really...? Oh, I didn't know that. That statement alone is a sure sign that they won't be calling me back for that work.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but unfortunately it seems like the '08 NEC is more of a hindrance than an ally to legitimate EC's in this economy, at least here in my area. Even if the job only involved adding a few circuits, some additional lighting or simply extending a couple of existing circuits, that represents an additional $150.00 just for the AFCI cb's and TR or even WR/TR receptacles that the lowballer who got the job is not going to use or even concern himself with.
That's a pricing advantage I would like to have in this tight economy. smile

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
E
2010 has been absolutely horrible here. January is usually weak for us anyway, but February has ended up being even worse. Sadly, I don't see any movement on the frontier until the November mid-term elections. The past year hasn't been filled with the "change and hope" that I was expecting.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
R
We have focused on the servioce side for the last several years no our repeat customers are keeping us going

CDS Offline
Business not so good here , like other poster , we are trying to focus on service , unfortunately it is slow too .
I think we can make it , but like you say , bidding seems to be futile these days

FWIW, I hear from many EC's that the comm market here is brutal for bids. Comm reno & tenant fit-ups is extreemly tight bids, and there's no 'loyalty' to any EC's.

I see guys traveling from all areas of the state, even for small resi jobs.

John
R
The advantage to service is you tend to get a more loyal customer as most have been burned by the fly by nite guy. My repeat customers know what I charge so no bid wars.

M
This has been the worst 2 months i have ever had.We have 3 employees that i hope tuff it out with me. Going from40 hrs plus to 24hrs plus is really tough on us all.

R
weather finnally breaking so we are starting a new church this week the phone is beginnig to ring and work is starting to pick up. I have called one guy back and hope by the end of the month to bring back another.Caution is still the watch word but survival looks better each day.

B
So far this year is as slow for me as last. See no signs of any improvement on the horizon. Hope it picks up soon.

R
The combination of nice weather and income tax refunds has improved the work picture

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard