ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#192499 02/16/10 11:27 AM
L
I am remodeling my kitchen and came across this problem. The wall studding and wall board is used as a chase for a return duct and I would like to put a receptacle in that chase, if I use m/c cable and a metal box can I put this recept. in this chase.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

If I understand you correctly, it's a ducted return running through the chase, and not an actual chase for the handling of environmental air.

Is the receptacle going to be accessible after you're finished?
Will the cord have to run through a hole in the drywall?

G
If this stud bay is the duct I think that you will be sucking dust into the receptacle, eventually packing the enclosure you added.
Think about the case of your PC where the air comes in.

Greg Fretwell
R
This would be a 300.22(C) installation. It looks like 300.22(C)(2) would permit this.

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
This would be a 300.22(C) installation. It looks like 300.22(C)(2) would permit this.
This is correct we have had to do this where return air space and receptacles were in the same spot

L
What I'M saying is in the basement they panned off two bays for the return then over the panning there is a partion wall that is just studded out and drywall with a register grill, the bottom plate is cut out for the return air to flow down to the panned area I would like to put a recept in the wall chase that is really a return duct. The wiring will be running thru the partion wall and stopping in the wall chase return with a recept using m/c cable and a metal box cancealed in the wall.

R
you are good to go.The method is approved see 300.22(C)(2)

A
Wiring can pass through (across) the stud space used as a return air (duct). A box and receptacle in that space would be a violation.
If the receptacle will be mounted above the register grill, a piece of wood across the space would effectively seperate the return air (duct) part of the stud space from the part with the receptacle.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
R
Originally Posted by Alan Nadon
Wiring can pass through (across) the stud space used as a return air (duct). A box and receptacle in that space would be a violation.
If the receptacle will be mounted above the register grill, a piece of wood across the space would effectively seperate the return air (duct) part of the stud space from the part with the receptacle.
Whats your code reference

L
Thanks for everyones reply.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard