ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I was thinking about this yesterday.
Those of us that have been in the Trade a while, will remember the days of wearing a set of goggles a SCUBA diver would be proud of.
I seem to remember that on a humid sort of a day or working in a cold environment they would steam up something wicked, until you could see what you were doing.

I also remember Merv, a work-mate of mine had some special googles with Bi-focals moulded into the plastic lenses, I accidentally put them on one day and it did my eyes in for about a half-hour afterwards.

But, I digress, these days, one can have very stylish, well-made glasses for very little money.
I own 3 pairs of safety glasses, one pair of smoked finished glasses for general use, that live on top of my cap, another pair of tinted dark safety glasses that I only use for driving and a pair of yellow tinted glasses that I use in low light conditions, you'd be amazed how much these actually draw the light into your eyes when you haven't got much to work with in the first place.

I can't stress the importance of the use of safety eye-wear enough.
A year or so ago, when I was working in the Dairy Fitting industry, I had a shard of stainless steel embed itself in the right side of my safety glasses.
Now imagine that picture, if I had not been wearing the glasses.
You only get one pair of eyes, not being able to use one of them severely impedes your field of vision.

It should never ever come to that.

Last edited by Trumpy; 02/15/10 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
I buy them by the box. I wear safety sunglasses all the time and they get beat up pretty quiclky. My wife used to work on a "first aid truck" for a while and sold Crews glasses. She bought me my first pair and I haven't worn anything else since. I am sure they have saved me from a lot of minor debris but I don't have a good "there I was" story.
I get them from LSS.COM now.

Greg Fretwell
R
I have a pair with transitional lenses and no line bifocals I wear them all the time you only get one set of peepers.

J
I owe probably both my eyes to a rare decision to wear safety glasses. I was hanging a new service with the old service still in place and energized. The hot splices were bare and I did not know it. The new neutral shorted them out about 2' from my face. Left rurn marks in both my glasses and my coat.

R
I worked for a company that made it mandatory so I just got use to doing it I cant count the times bits of metal,wood have deflected off the lens never had an arc flash yet.

F
Ya lucky Jim with that part.,

Mine part is worst I allready broke few safety glasses one from the diesel generator the fuel injector line failed on me and squirt fuel on me but luckly I have my safety glasses that deflect the fuel away from my eyes.

Second case was when I was engerized the MMC and I was not aware that someone trasponded phase colour { this happend in France } I have a piece of contractor part embeded in my safety glasses yeah I got scar on my head.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

S
Working with someone above me when they lost grip on a 3/0 conductor which sprang down and took a large gouge out of my glasses. I was also thankful that it did not hit my face in that manner.

R
I am also starting to wear the hardhat a little more

I always wore glasses when using saws, staplers and the like but now I wear them pretty much any time there is constructing or industrial activity involved... Was passing some iron pipe up a stairwell, and discovered hours later as I was driving home that I caught something in my eye. Must've sat on the eyelid until I blinked just right--an iron shaving from the end of the freshly cut pipe embedded itself on the edge of the cornea. Fortunately, it didn't do any permanent noticeable damage although they had to basically sand out a spot of rust where the iron sat. Supposedly, there's still a bit of rust left but the optometrist didn't take a picture for me to show everyone frown

R
Originally Posted by noderaser
I always wore glasses when using saws, staplers and the like but now I wear them pretty much any time there is constructing or industrial activity involved... Was passing some iron pipe up a stairwell, and discovered hours later as I was driving home that I caught something in my eye. Must've sat on the eyelid until I blinked just right--an iron shaving from the end of the freshly cut pipe embedded itself on the edge of the cornea. Fortunately, it didn't do any permanent noticeable damage although they had to basically sand out a spot of rust where the iron sat. Supposedly, there's still a bit of rust left but the optometrist didn't take a picture for me to show everyone frown
I have had metal in my eye and now when I get am MRI I have to get dye in my eyes first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard