ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192217 02/02/10 09:42 AM
M
mikeD Offline OP
Bought house couple years ago .Had direct tv come put coax in 2 of the rooms we hadent moved in yet. Go to house and wire laying on ground blew hole through side of the house theres your free install. Im working on putting all coax under the house comming up in a wall got to looking theres a splice block on the other two rooms with a piece of #12 stuck down in the ground. im fixing all that should that ground be at the dish dont know whats its grounding now.how do you ground coax cable and is it good to do all the coax at the dish just have connectors on them thats all i see.looks like harry home owner install its got to go. and i have holes in my siding but it was free thats what direct tv told me when i called them about it...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Just about all COAX splitters and devices contain a grounding lug now. You should just run your ground wire from the first one to the building's grounding electrode. It is not proper to drive a separate ground rod just for the SATV wiring. Don't forget that the dish itself must be grounded as well; not just reliant upon the coax shield. In most cases, the shield never actually comes in contact with the dish at all.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
The optimum location for your dish is near the service entrance if you can see the satellite from there. Then you have easy access to the ground electrode system with a short grounding conductor. When you are grounding out lightning, the shorter the conductor the better. I would still drive a separate rod for the dish, directly under it and bond that back to the GES.

Greg Fretwell
M
mikeD Offline OP
The dish is at one end of the house and the panel is at the other end not that far about 40 feet. what size wire should that be #6. The biggest question is why wasent that done when it was put in.direct tv free install nothing free about direct tv every time you turn around your getting a notice about a rate increase. guess that what happenes when you live in the sticks and they are the only way you can watch tv..

E
#6 is fine to bond them together. As to why they didn't do this: It all comes down to the installer. They usually work as sub contractors and are paid piecemeal, so the fastest way in and out is usually all that you get.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Hence, 250.95 ('08 NEC) requires the intersysten bonding location.

BTW, the dish guys here are not much more professional in the workmanship dept.

Heck, last week I came upon a pipe clamp on PVC at the meter! I thought they outgrew that stupidity.

John
M
mikeD Offline OP
You can't fix stupid

Link Copied to Clipboard