ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#191846 01/16/10 12:53 AM
S
SJT Offline OP
Is there a rule of thumb for the amount of circuits to be ran in an office setting with approx. 10 cubicles. Each would have a computer, monitor, and printer. I'm going to figure 1 amp for a single computer, and 1 amp for a single monitor. Are the desktop printers in the range of 2 amps? The computers, I would think should be figured with continuous duty, 125% added in. Thanks

CRT or LCD monitor? Inkjet or laser printer? Computers can vary a lot, depending on how much kludge is in the box... A standard computer is probably around 100W or less, but professional workstations with multiple processors and hard drives can be more.

One thing I'd ask is if the people will be allowed to have portable heaters. Some people can't live without them. There might be a copy machine that will need its own circuit too.

Bill

First & foremost IMHO, the following info should be available to the EC. Are cubicles 'new' or 'pre-owned'; equipped with factory' wiring harnesses? Or is the EC doing it from scratch?

Factory units must be wired to mfg instructions.

Otherwise, if it's a 'scratch' job, & the budget range of the job, 5 amps per ststion, 3 stations per 20 amp (derated); 4x20amp circuits would be my minimum.
Now...electric heat? 1 circuit each station! Toaster ovens? Don't laugh, I've been there!

John
G
I think you better bump that 100w up a bit. The PC that I am typing on now is pulling a tad over 180w just sitting here and when the CPU really cranks up (IE editing a video file) it goes over 200. That is a 2.8gz single core computer, 15" LCD monitor, a switch and a router. Ink Jet printer idle.
Just for Gee whiz info the Kilawatt device says I used 459 KWH in 2516 hours.

That translates to at least 2 amps

If they are going to have a laser printer, add 10 amps.

What is the wiring method? If they have an under the floor raceway/duct system you have a chance to upgrade. Nobody ever got in long term trouble putting too much power into an office but sometimes it takes a few years to prove them right. Going for the minimum usually bites you in the butt fairly soon.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Now...electric heat? 1 circuit each station! Toaster ovens? Don't laugh, I've been there!
Don't forget Coffee maker(s)

smile
Bill

Cat Servant
The last pre-fab cubicles were arranged with three 20-amp circuits shared over five cubicles, if that's any help.

S
SJT Offline OP
The cubicles were pre-wired with factory assemblies. They may be the 8 pin type. It was set up with 2 circuits, and they want a third circuit. Looks like the in house Electricians will have to open the existing outlets to find where the circuits originate from.
Good Weekend

S
Rule of thumb for general open office is 4 cubicals. If you suspect extra electrical loads like coffee makers, boot dryers and such, 3 per circuit.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 01/17/10 02:18 AM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I think you better bump that 100w up a bit. The PC that I am typing on now is pulling a tad over 180w just sitting here and when the CPU really cranks up (IE editing a video file) it goes over 200. That is a 2.8gz single core computer, 15" LCD monitor, a switch and a router.

Ok, let's say 200W... My two computers (one Mac Mini and one AthlonX2) and CRT draw 320W. Figure 60W on the CRT, 40-60W for the Mini and 200-220W on the Athlon. Could do more comprehensive tests, but that would require a shutdown.

Last edited by noderaser; 01/17/10 03:01 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard