ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19107 12/20/02 12:07 PM
B
BurnOut Offline OP
who would win?

If there is a gfi breaker for outdoor outlets, but the outlets are regular outlets in an outdoor box, is that safe?

Or would it be a better to replace the outlets with gfi outlets, even though the power feeding this outdoor wiring is a GFI breaker?

S
If the entire branch circuit is GFCI protected, then there is no need to install GFCI recps.

B
BurnOut Offline OP
thanks for the quick reply spyder [Linked Image]

S
I'm curious. What can happen if you put a GFCI recptacle on a circuit already protected by a GFCI breaker?

Will it cause confusion if one of them trips, will both trip or neither, or will the outlet trip first? [Linked Image]

Sven:
Dependent on the "sensitivity" of each device, and if they are wired properly..one will trip.
I see GFI receptacles that are inproperly installed, and I put the tester in, crank in 4-5- milliamps, and the "downstream" device trips. Then it's red sticker time.
John

John
R
At least one should trip, but if the tester is connected to the receptacle, they may both trip. It would depend on the speed of the trips and the actual trip point.
don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
Heh...this scenario reminds me of the odd time when there is a short in a 15amp line in a house, sometimes the short by-passes the single 15A breaker and trips the 100A main.

Link Copied to Clipboard