ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 378 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I have a problem with any test that occurs on the actual continuity of a given run of conduit, especially when it is going to be used as an essential conductor that could be asked to carry large currents, under fault conditions.
Reason I say that is, because that test only gives a "snap-shot" of the condition of that conduit run at that given time, not 1 or 5 years down the track.
This resistance will change over time.
I would never fail to run a new (seperate) ground back to the supplying panel.

A
Originally Posted by renosteinke
How about calling the guy you hired back, and asking him to do it?

Me thinks he is the guy he hired. smile

Cat Servant
Nah. can't be, A-line. After all, this is a professional site, not one catering to the DIY wink

The thread does bring up one sore point: second-guessing a professional. Every job has it's unique set of circumstances, and only the pro on the scene is really in a position to make the judgement calls.

I suspect the OP was simply confused by the change in type of cord and receptacle. While this is all old news to us, to the consumer it won't register until they replace that dryer or range - and that can be in another 20 years!

There might be a 'business,' or 'customer service' lesson in this, and that is: to the customer, four prongs means four wires; if at all possible, maybe we ought to humor the guy, and at least install a pigtail.

K
On a related note... how would you handle an old style 10/3 NM with reduced equipment-grounding conductor when upgrading from three-wire to four-wire dryer receptacle?
Would you run a new 10/3 NM branch circuit with a full size equipment-grounding conductor or use the existing 10/3 NM, keeping in mind that the new 4-wire receptacle has terminals rated for #10 to #4 AWG wire.

I know I’ve connected the old 14/2 and 12/2 NM with reduced grounding conductors to the grounding terminals of 15A 3-wire duplex receptacles during replacement before, without really thinking about how the minimum size wire rating on the device terminals is #14 AWG.
I guess in actuality, a pigtail could be used to comply here.

R
table 250.122 gives the minimum size EGC I would upgrade the wire to comply with code.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard