ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#190377 11/13/09 10:07 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
Would you consider a kitchen pantry a "closet", as described in 210.12, requiring any lighting and receptacle outlets located there to be on AFCI protected circuits.
Or do you consider a pantry storage space as kitchen, not requiring the AFCI protection.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
NEC requires the pantry to be on a 'small appliance branch circuit,' so the AFCI rules don't apply - as I see it.

G
I agree Reno, and the code reference would be 210.52(B)(1).

George Little
K
KJay Offline OP
Yes, but dining room receptacles are required to be on a small appliance branch circuit and AFCI protection is required for those as well as for the lighting outlets in that room.

If the pantry space is truly considered a part of the kitchen then I agree, but if the pantry is just considered a closet or similar area and not actually part of the kitchen, then I believe it would have to be treated similar to a dining room.

I think by definition a pantry is generally considered part of a traditional kitchen, but I was sort of hoping that maybe there had been a formal interpretation of this made somewhere.

Cat Servant
A very good catch, kj ... the dining room is listed under both requirements!

Since the counter is required to be served by two different circuits, this could have the unintended result that half of the counter will be AFCI protected, in addition to GFCI protection.

All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit .... closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

The 2008 is asking for ALL of the outlets that are in dwelling including closets or similar rooms.

I can't imagine anyone installing a non AFCI dedicated lighting circuit just for the kitchen or the pantry.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Cat Servant
Nico, my 2008 NEC does not say that; there are many areas listed - and just as notable are the areas not listed as rewuiring AFVI protection. Kitchen, pantry, etc., areas are not included in the list of places that require AFCI's.

Reno,
I Know that the kitchen is not required to be AFCI protected. But the code does say that ALL outlets in dwelling closets and similar rooms shall be AFCI protected. so when I said (typed) ALL i was referring to closets and similar rooms. in this case i would say that a pantry is a similar room to closet.

Am i wrong on this?

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Cat Servant
I can see where, in a particular installation, the 'pantry' is but a closet. I was thinking - as we probably all tend to do - of the last job, where the 'pantry' had a counter, sink,refrigerator, dishwasher, and cabinets of it's own.

I suppose it comes down to the specific plan, and it's a judgement call. After all, 'closets' need not have any receptacles. If the 'pantry' area has a counter, it seems reasonable to apply kitchen counter receptacle spacing and GFCI rules to it.

Once again, architects have managed to design past the constraints of the language laugh

K
KJay Offline OP
Originally Posted by Niko

I can't imagine anyone installing a non AFCI dedicated lighting circuit just for the kitchen or the pantry.

Depending on the job, I will often run non-afci circuits for kitchen, laundry, bathrooms, basement, garage, outside lighting and outside receptacles.
I just plan out my wire runs in advance.
AFCI’s are usually nothing but trouble for outside receptacles, especially when the HO wants to use power tools or run a shop-vac for vacuuming out the car.
Some of the houses I wire have several circuits just for the kitchen lighting and at $45.00 each for a CAFCI circuit breaker, it can add up to several hundred dollars in savings for a large house. Less AFCI’s also has the added advantage of cutting down on those future trouble shooting problems due to AFCI nuisance tripping. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard