ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
KJay Offline OP
I saw this and my BS meter pegged and is now broken. When I noticed the price each of $147.72, I almost fell over. Anyone here ever installed one of these?

WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle

I did a search here and found another post from 2003 on the subject, so apparently these have been around for quite a while now.
Has there been any further testing done in the last six years to verify the credibility or advantage in using these receptacles for audio applications?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Did you read the reviews?

Greg Fretwell
K
KJay Offline OP
Tried, but the link for the WattGate in the old post says, "File not found".
I did find a "review" by a supposed audiophile that says it provides "synergy" to their system... whatever that implies with regard to this application.

That's why I asked if there "Has there been any further testing done in the last six years to verify the credibility or advantage in using these receptacles for audio applications?"
I haven't found anything yet though and it sounds like I probably won't.

K
KJay Offline OP
EDIT:
Just to clarify... did you mean the reviews on the link I gave?
If so, I'm not sure what to make of those. They appear to be a bit confusing, since some of them seem negative or even sarcastic, but then they go and rate the item with high marks. This seems to negate using them for any real comparative purpose.
Possibly this is just their way of indicating what a joke the receptacle is and that it shouldn't be taken seriously.

I wonder if there is an entry in the DSM-IV for people who spend $150 on a duplex outlet, in the hopes that it will make their sound system better. People who believe that spending hundreds of dollars on gold-plated everything will make their system sound better than using el-cheapo cables must be suffering from some kind of mental dysfunction. Maybe they truly hear a difference, or their invisble audio friend tells them it's much better.

Perhaps this could be a study for someone going for a Masters/PhD in psychology; do blind-tests with audio systems connected with gold-plated components, versus stuff bought at Dollar Tree.

T
twh Offline
The reviews are awesome. The reviews, alone, are worth five stars.

That was some of the most comical reading I have enjoyed in a while. I commend the creative juices of the raters.LOL

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
A
Originally Posted by KJay
I saw this and my BS meter pegged and is now broken. When I noticed the price each of $147.72, I almost fell over. Anyone here ever installed one of these?

WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle

I did a search here and found another post from 2003 on the subject, so apparently these have been around for quite a while now.
Has there been any further testing done in the last six years to verify the credibility or advantage in using these receptacles for audio applications?

These are an easy sell when you have customers who buy their speaker cables here. http://www.higherfi.com/cables/1

Originally Posted by KJay

Hmmm,
I wouldn't imagine it's that easy to test both smoke and mirrors with the same test instrument. aspirin

Broom Pusher and
Those reviews are Hilarious!!! yay crazy clap

Saved both pages (web pages) of reviews as PDFs.

Think I will include them with the next submittal package, just for fun!!! wink

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard