ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Originally Posted by ESP
I have been tracking my calls through 800 numbers. I have a different 800 number for each ad, so I know where they called from,their name, time of call etc. All the calls are forwarded to the office. I used to get most of my calls from word of mouth or Idearc (yellowbook in my area was terrible), but now its about 75% word of mouth and website and 25% Idearc (I dropped yellowbook). By using 800 numbers I don't have to ask anyone where they got the number and it is very inexpensive only $2 per month per line plus usage with the provider that I use.

Paul

I still like to ask where they heard about us from.

Sometimes it's a referral but they look you up in the phone book and call that number.

Sometimes they see your truck but look you up in the phone book and call that number.

They might have heard about you through word of mouth but looked you up in the phone book and called that number.

They might hear about you from some other source like a business card, panel sticker, etc. but visit your website and call that number.

If it's internet I also try to find out which search engine they used.

My Point is that where they heard about us from and where they called us from are two different things.

I don't think anyone hears about us from our website. They may visit our website and call that number but I don't think they hear about from the website.

I also track the number of call that are actually leads and not salesman.
I also trakced the number of calls that are leads and the number of leads that are booked.

Some sources generate better leads and book more calls.

Last edited by A-Line; 09/10/09 09:53 PM.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
E
ESP Offline
Everything A-line just said is very true. I still like to track by different numbers because it will justify where I advertise. If someone sees my truck and uses the phonebook to find my number it tells me that without that Yellowpage ad I would not have been found.

L
All very interesting observations.
Contractors I use- personal- I get a name,then internet search or other means. If I se a truck,Get the name and INT search,or web site off of truck.
My company has the web add on the truck-local # but not the 800 #.

As far as calls and 'Actual' bookings- that is something to track.

BTW- are there any follow ups to non bookings as to why, or bookings for the same reason?

E
ESP Offline
I also use local numbers, but I have them forwarded to my 800 number. With this system I can go online and see the name of the person who called, the time, which number they called, and where I had that call forwarded to. This is good for several reasons. If I was too busy to answer the phone I can find out who called (by name)and call them back.This has worked great for me during slow times. I can also have the calls forwarded to any number I want on the fly. For ex. If I go away for the weekend I can have all calls forwarded to the employee on call that weekend.
Although I could do what A-line does by having all local numbers forwarded to just (1 )800 number and then ask where they got my info. This would be the best of both worlds but I would have to make sure that it was asked every time the phone was answered.

RH1 Offline
On the subject of 800 numbers, I use one, from Ring Central and really like the 800 number for 2 reasons:

1. People can't block caller ID, I can see who's calling.

2. I service and area with 12 area codes and people automatically assume if you're not in their area code, you don't work in that area, an 800 number removes that geographical prejudice.

With Ring Central I have their app on my iPhone so it's easy to call people using my 800 number.

RH

P
Thanks for all the great feedback.

From about 200 calls:

50% are from Google (a couple from Yahoo).
20% return customers
10% referrals
5% Saw the truck(s) in the neighborhood.
3% phone books (6 of them)
- and handfull from
Angie's List
BBB
local Chamber of Commerce's 2 (2 of them)

We find that phone books are used by older people (50 plus, hey that's me!!), and those who aren't very internet savvy (or that can't afford the internet).

Return customers and referrals are always the best customers.

Last edited by PE&Master; 10/01/09 12:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard