ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
I was reading thru this details and I am not really famuir with the OP's state regulations realted to the livestock useage however in state of Wisconsin we do have pretty strict section realted to the livestock useage and for the cement we have to use the rebar plus { the fiber may be ok in some area } grounding conductor go back to EGC ground rod at the mainload centre.

The Univeristy of Wisconsin did do the reshearch related to the stray voltage and enopointal plane set up I will attach the link later IMO I think someone in this forum did have a link some time back but I doubt it otherwise you can goggle it
It have pretty good artcale realted to this.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
rmiell Offline OP
Thanks for the inputs. I was already leaning towards the non-E-Plane, for the same reasons given. It is nice to get replies that agree with what you think is correct, both code-wise and real world-wise.

Thanks again.

Rick Miell

Cat Servant
French and Yooper are both in Wisconsin, and believe that the EP is necessary. This underscores the importance of checking with your local authorities.

Y
Yoopersup is in Upper Peninsula of Michigan, We have lotta farms & Cattle up here also.

G
The State of Michigan (upper and lower peninsula) do not have electrical inspections in agricultural buildings. In fact the State law has exempted Article 547 out of their electrical code. The only thing subject to the electrical code on a farm is the Service and the residential building.

George Little
Y
Yes George but most up here inquire & want them built safetly & to the ladest codes. Dead animals don't do anyone any good.
Yoopersup

S
Talk to the owners find out what their future plans are. If it is not required, tell them it would be way more expensive to go back and replace it. Let them make the call. If Art. 547 does not apply, it does not mean you can not still use it providing it does not violate other requirements. Be sure to put in your quote that you discussed with them and they declined. Reason being, years down the road, they decide to put in electrical equipment and something go wrong. Someone gets hurt, the finger pointing will start and the finger will be pointed at you. Odds are, nothing will ever happened, by documenting it, C.Y.A. and it takes only a few seconds.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Ernie- I agree with your perspective on installing per code albeit inspecting it is optional in Michigan. None of the State inspectors are making inspections under 547 because they have to enforce State Code. I have/had a couple farms in my area and they wanted them inspected and I made the inspections knowing I could not write a violation. The other issue is, if we do make inspections and have them make "corrections" and something goes sour, you rhetorically speaking, are on the hook and will have to be in court all by yourself with no support from the AHJ.

George Little
F
Originally Posted by George Little
The State of Michigan (upper and lower peninsula) do not have electrical inspections in agricultural buildings. In fact the State law has exempted Article 547 out of their electrical code. The only thing subject to the electrical code on a farm is the Service and the residential building.

George .,

That kinda suprised me here and I don't know if you are famuair with Wisconsin Comm codes if not Let me bring you up the speed real quick here in Wisconsin we did change the code to make it instering the homestead is treated as resdentail codes however any non attached building we treat them as commercal codes they were in enforece just started not too long ago almost a year ago to clear up too many loopholes { some farmer try to abuse the codes by doing some crazy stuff }

So by doing this the commercal side of code really enforce it and they make it clear for any AG useage we have to have rebar in the contrete for EP set up { for all building livestock or not it will enforce it unless it is not zoned as AG then the rules will go out of the window }

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Y
I carry licenses in Wisc, & Mich, also inspectors & instructors in both so I know what both states require.
Yoopersup

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard