ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#189032 09/16/09 04:11 PM
Cat Servant
Raised in Illinois, I grew up assuming the world was flat as a prairie. Naturally, life since then has had me learning just how wrong I was laugh

The contours of the land are what resulted in this house having two "ground" floors. With a concrete foundation and stem walls, I can certainly understand why this receptacle was installed above the concrete (look to upper right of the pic), at a height of 5'6" above grade:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Do you believe that this receptacle qualifies as one of the required outdoor receptacles? Please cite code where you can; it's even nicer if you can document any changes in the code language.

G
You should have made a field trip out to Galena, IL; they actually have skiing on those hills. I was amazed the first time that I went there...I though we had driven into a completely different state.

Back to business:
Per the 2008 NEC (210.52E), it's installed no more than 6'-6" above grade, so you can certainly stand on the dirt and use the receptacle.
Granted there would be a bush poking you in the butt, but the receptacle meets the requirements IMHO.

Ghost307
Cat Servant
Breaking news ... Secretariat has won the Kentucky Derby!

Amazing, isn't it, how time flies? I posted this pic thinking 'this would be a good opportunity to draw attention to the new height limitations on the outside receptacles.'

New? I find that the height limitation was added in the 1996 edition. The 1993 edition has a 'change' mark along the entire paragraph, so some major rewording was done - or, maybe, the entire requirement was new. I can't say, because I do not have an earlier edition. Perhaps someone else can chime in ...

Gee, 1996 seems so 'recent' I almost expected the codebook to still have wet ink in it.

Now ... does anyone want to discuss the lack of a 'bubble' cover on that receptacle?

G
I talked to the owner, he says he pressure washes that siding once a month wink

406.8(B)(1)Exception: 15- and 20-ampere, 125- through 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location and subject to routine high-pressure spray washing shall be permitted to have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

Greg Fretwell
Reno:

'93 change was 'front AND back' for locations; NO height. SEction was shortened to remove 2 family, and 'no grade access from back to front' confusion.

'96 change was the 6' 6" max height.

As to the bubble...if it's a new install....yes.

As to the shrubs....chainsaw anyone??

John

Link Copied to Clipboard